Warning in version 4.50 64-bit when ini file is read only

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Confirmed Warning in version 4.50 64-bit when ini file is read only

With the 64 bit version I get this warning when editing an image. "Your INI file i_view64.ini is read only! You can't change any IrfanView option until you get the write permission for this file."

It is only a warning, which you can close. I want to disable this warning.

This happens when I choose Image / Add border/frame, or Image / Custom/fine rotation.
    I want to keep the file i_view64.ini read only.
    With the 32 bit version this is not happening. So, I think this is a bug.

I can confirm the behaviour, but I am not sure that it is a bug.

Not only does the warning appear in IV 64-bit, the Border/Frame also cannot be added.

If read-only is not set, adding a border/frame to a picture in IV 32-bit does not update the *.ini file. However, adding a border/frame to a picture in IV 64-bit does update the *.ini file.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Date Modified.png
Views:	1
Size:	3.5 KB
ID:	83062
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Also, custom/fine rotation does not work properly with IV 64-bit, and the ini file in read-only mode. The preview is correct, but the result is not.

Comment

No surprise there. Why would the program be expected to work properly if you lock its configuration file? I suggest you use some other strategy for maintaining default values for users, such as a batch file that copies the ini file on launching IrfanView.

If the 32-bit version works, then use that. It is the recommended version, except for editing very large files.
        Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 22.02.2018, 10:31 PM.
        Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

The problem is not that the file itself is read-only. The problem is that Windows (after a certain version, not sure which) automatically protects files under the Program Files directory from being edited. To fix the problem, locate the i_view64.ini file. Right click and choose Properties. Select the Security tab and click the Edit button (note: you must have admin privileges to do this). In the edit dialog, select "Users...", then in the Permissions area check Modify and Write. Then click Ok, and OK again.

Once I did this, I could change the program settings. It also fixed the problem with capture only capturing all monitors regardless of the setting that I chose. I suspect that several other problems that I see reported here would also be fixed by this.

Comment

Working...
          X