Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rejected IrfanView not keep file handle open

Hello,

Maybe this is a bug or I havent found the right setting, but this is something that's bothering me:

* open image in IrfanView
    * want to rename folder the image is in
    * Win10 doesn't let me do that, because IrfanView has a file open in this directory.

I think this is because IrfanView keeps a filehandle open to the image which blocks the deletion/move/rename of its folder.

I'd like to rename the folder nontheless. In that case IV should just keep the image file open.

If it were possible to rename the folder as long as a file contained in it is open, the file would be homeless after renaming.
    This quite rightly prevents Window from doing so.
    Win 10/64 Home 22H2 IrfanView 4.67/64
    Hate has caused a lot of problems in this world, but it has not solved one yet. (Maya Angelou)

Comment

I agree. I don't see this feature request ever being implemented.
      Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Originally posted by Kuki Dent View Post
        If it were possible to rename the folder as long as a file contained in it is open, the file would be homeless after renaming.
        This quite rightly prevents Window from doing so.
        this is correct and in some cases acceptable/desired. If the folder changes and the handle gets lost, certain functionalities have to be disabled. but i still think this is acceptable since it offers an additional use case, where keeping an image open while renaming the containing folder is wanted.

Comment

You cannot rename the folder while a file in it is open, but you can move that file and any others in the folder into a different one.
          Just drag them there in Windows Explorer. If it does not already exist, you can create the new folder with the name you want before you move the files into it.
          Is that not equivalent to renaming the folder? The only extra thing you need do is to delete the original folder if you have no more use for it.

Comment

Working...
          X