Not always seeing captions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not always seeing captions

I am a long time fan of Irfanview, but this is my first posting. My platform is Windows 10, 64 - bit. Iview 4.51-32bit. I have difficulty consistently viewing captions on full screen, slideshow. I have inserted $I120 in full screen options, and sometimes see the caption properly displayed. Most of the time the caption is not visible. Sometimes if I click on a full screen image without a visible caption the caption then appears. Most of the time I just navigate to the end of the folder. How can I consistently view the caption?

Are the caption text colours suitable for seeing them against any image?
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Originally posted by IraGilbert View Post
      ........................... Most of the time I just navigate to the end of the folder. ...............
      What has navigating to the end of the folder got to do with the Caption in the IPTC data?

Comment

Yes, the colors are fine. When I see the captions they are as I had set them - white.

Comment

When I cannot see any caption I have tried different keys to make them visible. Sometimes right or left clicking makes the caption visible. Usually though it just navigates through the file

Comment

I guess I found out the answer to my caption problem. When I captioned a Nikon .NEF file the captions were not visible. After saving as JPG they were visible. Captioning doesn't seem to work on those raw files.

Comment

Originally posted by IraGilbert View Post
              I guess I found out the answer to my caption problem. When I captioned a Nikon .NEF file the captions were not visible. After saving as JPG they were visible. Captioning doesn't seem to work on those raw files.
              That subject was discussed last year in this post but no solutions were offered. I cannot add to that since I do not own a Nikon camera. Are JPG copies produced automatically as sidecar files to your NEF images or have you converted them to JPG yourself??

Comment

I copied them to JPG directly using Nikon CaptureNX2

Comment

Maybe that is the problem. The $I120 that you put in the Full Screen options will display whatever is entered in the Caption field of the IPTC metadata. If your Nikon CaptureNX2 program has not filled that in then you are not going to see it in the overlay on the Fullscreen display.

If it is not there press key I to show the Information dialog. At bottom left are the buttons to see what is in the EXIF metadata and the IPTC metadata (if they exist at all). If there is an IPTC button click on it to see what is in the Caption field. What are you expecting to recover from that field? Is it just the file name? If so you can use $F instead and Irfanview will supply it.
                  Last edited by Mij; 21.03.2018, 02:08 PM. Reason: Changed "data" to "metadata" to be more precise.

Comment

Working...
                  X