Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Undo (Ctrl-Z) disable momentarily "Ask to save changes..." and editing could be lost.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Undo (Ctrl-Z) disable momentarily "Ask to save changes..." and editing could be lost.

Hi,
    I have found that if I use Undo (Ctrl-Z), the setting Options-Properties-Start-Exit Options-"Ask to Save changes on program exit or file/image change" does not work momentarily.
    IV could be closed without any warning, and also "Next file in directory" works regardless of all changes made.
    I lost a few times all my editation, when I used Undo and then I pressed accidentally Space bar, which works as the "Next file in directory" shortcut.
    So I think the Undo should not reset the information that the image was edited.
    Last edited by bflmpsvz; 26.03.2018, 09:08 PM.

Clearly not a bug, and I have a feeling what Irfan Skiljan would say about the feature request.

“Users should take more care.”

If you did a lot of editing, then decided to undo it and try again, what have you lost?
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Originally posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
      If you did a lot of editing, then decided to undo it and try again, what have you lost?
      If I did let say 10 editing actions, and then I undo the last one (IV does not allow to undo more than the last one action), I have lost also those 9 previous editing actions (when I accidentaly press Spacebar, BackSpace, Alt-F4...)

Comment

A fair point, but if you do a lot of work in any application you should save your edits. Working for 20 minutes without saving is not something that anyone should do. Power-cuts happen, human errors happen. Protect your work by saving whenever you made some changes that you wish to keep.

It only takes a few seconds to do Ctrl+S, OK.
        Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Originally posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
          It only takes a few seconds to do Ctrl+S, OK.
          Sure. But when the option "Ask to Save changes on program exit or file-image change" does exist, the author clearly admits that accident could happen. And the described behavior is clearly bug of the implementation of this option...

Comment

Irfanview only has one level of Undo and it does not count how many changes you might have made before you pressed Undo. It assumes that you stepped back to the original state, as when you loaded it, and does not warn you when you ask to move on because you have already got a copy of that.

If it had multiple levels of undo that always went all the way back to the original state as it was when first loaded, then it might be considered to be a bug if you tried to move on without first winding it all the way back to the start.

As it is, it has to assume that you would know if you had not wound it back to the start and would have taken steps to save that last-but-one state had it been particularly precious to you.

Comment

Most of Windows applications works another way. Let say the Notepad - open a text file, add one letter, use Undo - and you cannot close it without warning. And I think this is a good approach.

Comment

Originally posted by bflmpsvz View Post
                Most Windows applications work another way
                Notepad does, but without testing "most windows applications" I would not come to that conclusion. The ones that I tested do not warn on close after undo of all changes made since opening the document: Notepad2, LibreOffice, all Serif Applications, High-Logic FontCreator, and PDF-XChange Editor.

I will leave this thread open to comments, but it is unlikely to get implemented. Read the Sticky Thread

How the Feature Request Forum Works
                Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 27.03.2018, 05:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bflmpsvz View Post
                  Most of Windows applications works another way. Let say the Notepad - open a text file, add one letter, use Undo - and you cannot close it without warning. And I think this is a good approach.
                  It is not what other programs do that matters. It is what you do when using them. Personally I very rarely close Irfanview accidentally without saving my work first. It is almost a ritual to always Save before Closing and I used to quite often Save something I did not intend to that way in Irfanview, Notepad or other programs. That is why I taught myself to use the ESC key In Irfanview to Close down and being a less familiar operation I do think about whether or not I want to Save when I am closing down that way.
                  Accidentally moving on to another image and losing my edits is much more of a problem to me and I have tried hard over the years to persuade Irfan to make changes to that but without success. I do have some sympathy with you on that.

Comment

Working...
                  X