Time for a 'no file loaded' complaint

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

no bug Time for a 'no file loaded' complaint

This thing has been present for such a long time and it really is not necessary.

The bug I'm speaking of is that when a large GIF (or APNG and such) is loading i_view sits there seemingly idle with the message on the bottom saying 'no file loaded (Use File-Open menu)' causing you to only know it's busy loading by its lack of response.

It would be very simple to change the message to 'loading' first and then proceed to load the file.

And sometimes you don't know if something went wrong and you are possibly waiting for an event that never comes not sure if you have to be patient or if it failed, like for instance on a tablet when you rotate it and i_view simply quits trying.

This is like one of the many bugs you find in operating systems like Windows, where everybody is so used to a silly software failure that nobody even reports it any more causing it to be there 20 years later.
    Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 30.03.2018, 04:54 AM.

Probably nobody reported as a bug, because it is not a bug. The status line reads "No file loaded," which is true until the file is loaded.

Most people are patient enough to wait for programs to respond on slow computers when loading really large files.

I found a really large RAW file that took 40 seconds to load in i_view 32-bit, and 15 seconds in 64-bit.

Some files may take even longer, but users should not be surprised if they know their hardware is slow and the files are large.
    Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 30.03.2018, 08:04 AM.
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

retort

I outlined the situations where it happens and seeing it happens with GIF files it happens a whole lot. And I also outlined where i_view can stop loading and you are waiting in vain (I expect that the screen rotation thing is a W10 bug so I don't blame Irfan for it, but the effect of having poor messaging confusing users I DO blame i_view for)

But perhaps you have a half point and I should post it in a 'poor coding standards' section? But for some reason my system doesn't list such a section in this forum.
      So perhaps I should re-post it in 'feature request' under the header 'request: Proper programming'?

I think I'll continue to call it a bug for now because if I wrote a script or something and I failed to properly message I'd accept it as a bug for other users, it's an easily fixed issue though, simply print 'loading' in the status line then load, it's dead simple.

Comment

Originally posted by Dabble View Post
        So perhaps I should re-post it in 'feature request' under the header 'request: Proper programming'?
        If you do, I will just delete it. Sarcasm does not help your case. Send a feature request to Irfan Skiljan and let us know what he says.
        Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

I cannot understand what Dabble is complaining about. The message is on the status bar in the space where the size of the image being shown is normally displayed. The message that Dabble calls a bug only appears when Irfanview cannot tell you how big the image is because there is "no file loaded". That only happens while the operating system is loading the first of the files in the folder that you selected to show. Otherwise Irfanview keeps showing the previous image and displaying the size of that while waiting for the next one.

The delay is nothing compared with the time it sometimes takes before you can start selecting files from a new folder in Windows File Explorer. True, that does have a green bar at the top which crawls across the screen until Windows has finished doing heaven knows what but I might call that "poor coding standards" that it fails to explain what it is going on while you sit there waiting. I imagine that Windows does not tell Irfanview either what it is doing while waiting for the first image to be available.

Comment

Working...
          X