Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Improve Windows 10 window borders. Random pixel lines on every side.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reported Improve Windows 10 window borders. Random pixel lines on every side.

As I was testing multiple image viewers, I noticed some are capable of using Windows 10 borders perfectly and others aren't. Unfortunately IrfanView for all it gets right has a slightly distracting antiquated border compared to some programs. The look of Win10 certainly doesn't benefit from it. Please have a look.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled-3.png
Views:	1
Size:	156.7 KB
ID:	85107

I'd really like to use IrfanView if it modernized to utilize clean Windows 10 borders. It may seem minor, but having white and grey pixels which asymmetrically contrast each other on two sides each is something I find very distracting with certain images against certain backdrops, especially dark ones. It places a weird emphasis on the lower right. I believe the viewer will be more pure and cleaner if you will agree to figure out what makes this old school 2 pixel thick border appear within Windows' own borders.
    Last edited by Pixel Eater; 01.04.2018, 02:34 PM.

It beats me why anyone would be distracted by this.
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Well first of all I apologize if I should have posted this in feature requests, though I almost consider it a lingering bug in the following sense: It maybe leftover from older, or even much older Windows builds where it was far less noticeable and considered to work well enough with their border thickness. The time it was intended for must surely be past. Modern Windows' border is only one pixel, thinner even than IrfanView's. The question which I think is worthy of asking is why do we still hold onto these? I'm very sincerely requesting that you consider this because I've tried to be as thoughtful as possible in how to present it and believe it or not have really wanted to for years. It could seem small to you but means a lot to me. It is a distraction rather than an enhancement, and I'd like to emphasize how noticeable it is fluctuates all the time based on how dark the surrounding area is and what each image looks like. You have grey on one side, then bright white lopsided edges. The fact that the left and right edges are not even remotely similar is a distraction unto itself. I can say for sure the Windows 10 GUI did not plan for programs to keep using this approach which probably dates back as far as Windows 95. Many projects I know of still being updated have done away with it, especially video and image viewers which people seriously use to admire beautiful content closely. Think of how internet browsers and Photoshop also abandoned white areas surrounding images years ago. That goes for most professional video and photo editing software, and there are great reasons. White is more distracting than black or dark grey.

What would really be incredible is having two things: A default mode where the border works correctly as seen on the right, and a mode where there is no border whatsoever. Those are two highly valid ways to present images as cleanly as possible, and seem like good goals for IrfanView. Can we please get the first option at least in order to make it more Windows 10 friendly? I'll fully switch to IrfanView if I don't have to see uneven white borders on images.
      Last edited by Pixel Eater; 24.04.2018, 04:31 AM.

Comment

I would like the complete border to remain an option. Those programs that do away with 3D elements look broken on Windows classic: panels and buttons have inconsistent height, sometimes cut off on one side like in those optical illusions that present physically impossible shapes.

The flat Windows Metro interface is not good, if you compare both visual styles by merit, disregarding that one is new and trendy, and other is from the "past" and "antiquated". Classic UI presents elements in sorted order, enabling to tell at a glance a toolbar from a textbox or content, which is a "display panel" inside the chrome. It is Windows 10 (and Vista to a lesser extent) that introduced the white color of the UI 'chrome'. In classic windows it was more grey and, indeed, as you admit: less distracting.

I do not recall when I last viewed an image fit tightly into the window dimensions. I always use Irfan in a maximized or large window (with a near-black, slightly red background), to avoid the toolbars and borders moving around as image size changes, and to have a solid color, unchaging area around the image. Just like in Photoshop, where I can also switch between grey and black in the two fullscreen modes to check the image borders or paint over the border without mouse going out of window bounds. Irfan could also benefit from a few switchable background colors.

I suppose a non-sunken image area might not be a bad idea (ACDSee). But I still prefer the 1-deep in FastStone for a more "ordered" appearance in case the image color coincide with the chrome or surrounding background (disregarding other aspects of the recreated theme, such as its lightness).

Comment

Yes, another day I thought about posting about this here, but I forgot.
          Just look how ugly it looks against other applications.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ugly.png
Views:	1
Size:	19.5 KB
ID:	83097

Comment

Working...
          X