Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Quickly set selection area to 0.563 (cropping into 9:16 aspect ratio)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Solved Quickly set selection area to 0.563 (cropping into 9:16 aspect ratio)

Hello there

I recently got a new monitor which allows me to easily rotate it by 90°. I have alot of wallpapers which I would like to crop and edit into a 9:16 format.

Since I don't have any advanced knowledge of image editing or any kind of expensive programs or tools, I simply use IrfanView.

What I do is:
    • I select the area on any given image
    • drag the frame until the rightmost value at the top of the window shows 0.563
    • position the frame by right-clicking and dragging it (please see the attachment)
    • and finally cutting it out and saving

Not the most elegant way, I know and that's why I would like to ask you guys, if there is smoother method to speed up the process.

Thanks you in advance and apologies, if this has been asked and solved before.
    Attached Files

* Select the are roughly
    * Open the Custom Selection dialogue
    * Select the 9:16 aspect ratio
    * Save and apply to the image
    * Move it with the RMB

Save your actual monitor size as a custom selection, e.g. 1080x1920

Click image for larger version

Name:	Custom Selection.png
Views:	1
Size:	11.5 KB
ID:	83086
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Thank you so much man, that's exactly what I was looking for!

Have a good one!

Comment

Another neat little feature is that after setting the 9:16 ratio in that dialog, you can hold down the Ctrl key while drawing a selection and it is constrained to always have that aspect ratio.

Comment

Another neat little feature is Edit > Create maximised selection (ratio > 16 : 9 (or whatever), then you can use right mouse button to move it and Ctrl-left mouse button to resize it before cropping.
          Last edited by Jacal; 04.04.2018, 02:31 PM.
          IrfanView 4.62 64-bit

Comment

Working...
          X