• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Difficulty in making IrfanView the Default for Pictures

Have to work all the ways

1) In control Panel "Default Apps"
    2) Right-Click Menu on a Picture file "Open with"

In "Default Apps" it do not go to Computer but only to Apps Store.

So I sent a feedback to Windows today.

Some detail may be read in "summary.txt" attached
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 04.04.2018, 04:52 AM.

What you have to do to set default programs seems to change with every new major update of Windows 10. At present using the "Creators edition" the terms Apps and Programs appear to be interchangeable on the menus.
    I find the best way to set default programs from Control panel is to select Default Apps/Programs (it might be either). Select Associate a file type or protocol, Scroll down until you see Choose default apps by file type and select that.
    You then have a list on the left of all file extensions supported, with the icon of the program currently associated to the right of it. If you want to change that association click on the icon and another drop down list of icons appears on the right of that from which you can choose which you want.

"At present" may not last long though. I understand we are about to have yet another major update of Windows 10 in the near future. Everything will be different again, no doubt.

Comment

I recently reinstalled IrfanView 4.51 32-bit and had to jump through hoops again. Windows Paint 3D again usurped my GIF, JPG, and PNG files.

I also had to use "Set defaults by app" to get JPG to open in IrfanView.
      Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Working...
      X