Choose as Default Photo Viewer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

no bug Choose as Default Photo Viewer

Having just installed Windows 10 REDSTONE 4 {Spring Creator's Update}, I can say that things look like they haven't changed from REDSTONE 3 {Fall Creator's Update}.
    You still can't choose Irfanview (either 32 or 64 bit) as your default Photo Viewer OR Video Player (see image), although it quite happily appears as an option for playing music.
    Here is what I mean from a screen cap on my system...you can see that IrfanView does not appear as an option for either Photo Viewer or Video Player...
    Click image for larger version

Name:	defapps.png
Views:	1
Size:	284.7 KB
ID:	85112
    Some people have said to associate IrfanView with one or more photo or video file extensions and then it shows up as an option in the list as a global player for your photos or videos, but this doesn't work for me for whatever reason.
    It would be nice for this to work properly because the only alternative is to go in to either Default Apps by File Type or Defaults by App and click dozens and dozens of times to associate each file type with IrfanView.
    If it was just my personal computer I'd put up with this, but I have 10 computers at my house and 30 at the school I administer and that represents far too much effort.
    There is now a different proper way to have a program register as a potential new handler for a file extension (or globally as a photo viewer or video player), but you are not doing it.
    Please, download/install REDSTONE 4, consult MSDN or TechNet on the new way to do things, and fix this.
    Last edited by merwinsson; 08.04.2018, 12:00 AM.

I agree that this should be easier. I forwarded a bug report to Irfan Skiljan.

It does not work on the current Windows 10 either. I was able to set FastStone Viewer as the default app without difficulty. To remove it, I uninstalled FastStone Viewer, as I could not see any easier method.

Name:	Choose Default Photo Viewer.png
Size:	23.4 KB
ID:	83087
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

I do not know about 64 bit Windows 10 but in the 32 bit version I just associated Irfanview with several common file types like JPG and PNG using the Associate a file type or protocol with a Program option and now Irfanview has become the default Photo viewer.

Name:	Default program.png
Size:	402.3 KB
ID:	83088

Comment

Irfan Skiljan suggested running IrfanView as Admin, and launching Control Panel from Properties/Extensions, but whatever I do, nothing works.

I can set FastStone Viewer as the default Photo Viewer in Control Panel, but IrfanView is not listed.

If I uninstall FastStone Viewer, not default Photo Viewer is selected, and JPG, PNG, and GIF images open in Paint 3D.

PCX, ICO, TIF, open as expected in IrfanView 64-bit.

RAW files ask to select an application
        Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Unfortunately, this is not a bug in IrfanView, so nothing here that Irfan Skilljan can, or should, fix.

Originally posted by Irfan Skiljan
          Control Panel is a system program ... and if the system program doesn't save settings ... this is a system problem, nothing in IrfanView

Comment

I don't have that problem with IrfanWiew.
            First, I always use 'Install as admin" for any software. If that doesn't help to set the application as default for a specific filetype, I use right click and "Open With..." on a file,
            choose the application and set "Always open with...".
            If that doesn't help too, I have a tiny application called "Types" http://ystr.github.io/types/, which can help to open a file with the
            application I want. If you are an experienced user, give it a try.
            Win 10/64 Home 22H2 IrfanView 4.66/64
            Hate has caused a lot of problems in this world, but it has not solved one yet. (Maya Angelou)

Comment

I did not have a problem with IrfanView either, before I tried to test some things for this thread.

Finally, choosing default apps by file types has stuck (there is no Save button), and PNG, TIF, PCX and JPG now open in IrfanView.

Name:	Choose Defaults by File Type.png
Size:	6.1 KB
ID:	83089

IrfanView still is not listed in the programs to select as the default Photo Viewer.

I suggest asking on the Microsoft Community for a better solution. Jumping through so many hoops is ridiculous. I suspect that Paint 3D is the culprit. There is no longer an uninstall option for this program. You have to use Powershell to remove it.

Comment

above tiny application called "Types" http://ystr.github.io/types/ doesnt work with current Win10
                see homepage:"May or may not work in Windows 8 and 10"

Comment

easier method with WIN10

i had the same problem
                  only solution was using -->WIN10 properties -->standard app --> change Bildanzeige/Picture-Photo-view to IRFAN

Comment

Working...
                  X