Unicode switch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Requested Unicode switch

Supporting Unicode filenames is certainly a plus feature.

However, it breaks all my tools used to create/change
    slideshow viewing files. Is it possible to export these
    as simple ASCII text files as in previous versions? A switch
    or separate menu button would be most welcome.

Now I was switching back to version 4.37, which worked wonderfully, since I don't use non-ASCII-filenames.

If I could use a later update without saving
    the slideshow file as 16-bit-Unicode, I would like to
    upgrade.

cheers, Neo.
    Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 17.05.2018, 11:57 AM. Reason: Thread moved. This is a user-to-user support forum

Using an older version is likely to be your only option. It's not difficult to do. Just install it into a different folder and use a different shortcut to launch it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Installation Folders.png
Views:	1
Size:	1.6 KB
ID:	83116
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Originally posted by neobesseya View Post
      Supporting Unicode filenames is certainly a plus feature.
      However, it breaks all my tools used to create/change
      slideshow viewing files. Is it possible....
      ...cheers, Neo.
      Neo
      I do not know what tools you use, so cannot say what is or is not possible for you. I have described how I deal with the Unicode problem in a Visual Basic script file in this thread from the Working scripts area of the forum.

If you want to know any more about that approach do post again. I may not be able to reply for a week though because I am away from home and do not know what opportunity and access I will have to Irfanview and the forum while away.

Comment

Thanks, Mij, but I know how to manage Unicode Files. However, it would require changes in many places for me, but a switch at Irfanview would solve all this in one place. That's why I prefer to live with version 4.37 unless such a switch becomes available in a later version. It's a feature request, not a request for help, and I suppose it's a simple feature to implement, but of course its a decision of the author to implement it or not.

Comment

The program's author does not visit this forum as far as I know.

See How the Feature Request Forum Works
          Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Originally posted by neobesseya View Post
            Thanks, Mij, but I know how to manage Unicode Files. However, it would require changes in many places for me, but a switch at Irfanview would solve all this in one place. That's why I prefer to live with version 4.37 unless such a switch becomes available in a later version. It's a feature request, not a request for help, and I suppose it's a simple feature to implement, but of course its a decision of the author to implement it or not.
            As English is my native language I have no need for Unicode either but I do realise that it is a necessity for many around the world who speak other languages. I have seen many requests on this forum over the years for Unicode support in Irfanview and it was clear that Irfan Skiljan worked very hard to provide it. You are free to ask him to provide the feature you request but I would not want to support you in that request at this time after so much effort. I just work around the inconvenience which is why I created and am using that Script file that I linked to in my previous post.

You do not have to work with a single copy of Irfanview. If it was only Slideshows where I needed to avoid Unicode I would continue to use the latest version of Irfanview as my main copy for most of my work, because of all the new editing features that keep being added, but I would install a minimal copy of version 4.37 in a folder somewhere else on my computer or a USB stick, just the main IV package and perhaps a few plugins that I might need to create and run slideshows. I would then make my version 4.37 an external editor in my main IV version so that whenever I work on slideshows I could jump there with just the appropriate hotkey (Shift + the number of the external editor being used) and then W. That is little more than the switch/menu you are requesting.
            Because your v4.37 copy has its own ini/slideshow files they and any other files you save from it will still be ANSI.

Comment

Working...
            X