This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

no bug Windows 10 update seems to have broken video playing in IrfanView

Despite having all the codecs installed IrfanView now plays videos in black with no sound. These videos work in other applications and used to work in IrfanView. Any ideas on how to address this?

Working OK here with *.wmv format files.

Have you installed the plugins for 4.51 and what video formats are you playing?
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

I installed the all 32-bit plugins package from here: https://www.irfanview.com/plugins.htm

The videos used to work prior to the April Windows 10 update.

The file formats are AVI and M4V.

Comment

If this is what you're seeing, try pressing the play button.

Click image for larger version

Name:	External Media Player.png
Views:	1
Size:	7.8 KB
ID:	83118

Or, go to Settings, Video/Sound and select the internal video player.
        Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Originally posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
          If this is what you're seeing, try pressing the play button.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]5256[/ATTACH]

Or, go to Settings, Video/Sound and select the internal video player.
          Yeah, I tried those. Nothing's working. :/

Comment

Please provide a link to a Video file that is broken for you.

Comment

Just sent you a private message with a link to a video that doesn't play.

Comment

That was a waste of my time. I believe you when you say that a video is black on your system. The sound does play on my system if I use the external video player.

If I try to use the internal video player, I get an error message about missing codecs.

Name:	Error Message.png
Size:	3.4 KB
ID:	83119

What I need is the original MP4 video to see if the problem is with the file or only with your system.
                Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 20.05.2018, 12:49 PM.

Comment

The sample MP4 files on this page plays fine in the external video player.

Comment

Originally posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
                    That was a waste of my time. I believe you when you say that a video is black on your system. The sound does play on my system if I use the external video player.

If I try to use the internal video player, I get an error message about missing codecs.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]5257[/ATTACH]

What I need is the original MP4 video to see if the problem is with the file or only with your system.
                    I didn't send you the MP4 to show you that it plays black on my system. I sent you that MP4 because it's example of a video file that won't play in the IrfanView installation on my system since Windows 10 updated.

Comment

I'm having the same issue. After the Windows update my irfanview just won't play videos anymore, even videos that were playing literally the day before the update. If I use it with the directshow option enabled it plays the sound but no image, just black screen and if I try with directshow disabled it shows an error message about codecs even though I have K-Lite installed. I tried reinstalling irfanview, tried switching to 32 bits, reinstalled my codecs (as recommended by them since they said the windows update messed with codec related stuff) but nothing worked. The internal player just doesn't work for me anymore and I'd love some help to fix this.

Comment

I sent a bug report to Irfan Skiljan.

Comment

I got a reply already:

Originally posted by Irfan Skiljan
                          Sorry, video problems are NEVER IrfanView problems

IrfanView sends the file to Windows, Windows looks for the codec and starts it => the codec does everything.
                          => IrfanView has no idea what happens.

This is either a problem in Win10 update or in the MP4 codec.
                          Postscript

Originally posted by Irfan Skiljan
                          Just tested your MP4 on my Win10 64, Pro, with 1803 update => no problems, no changes, video works

my K-Lite codec pack is older, version 13, full.

Name:	Clipboard01_video_ok.png
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	83121
                          Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 23.05.2018, 10:45 AM.

Comment

Tried a new clean install of both Irfan 32 and 64 bits, the latest K-Lite full, an older K-Lite version 13.8.0 full and the result is the same black screen with sound only on the internal player. I can watch everything on external players. My OS is W10 64 bits Home though, maybe it's something affecting the Home version only? Well I guess I'll have to settle for a worse image/video viewer for now :/ Thanks for trying to help me.

Comment

Originally posted by tatsu90 View Post
                              Well I guess I'll have to settle for a worse image/video viewer for now.
                              Why not settle for a better one? Try VLC media player, for example.

Comment

Working...
                              X