Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Irfanview hangs when trying to print an oversized PNG

Quote Originally Posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
    I am reluctant to submit a bug-report to Irfan Skiljan as I suspect he will just say that people should fix their own bugs and produce valid PNG images.

Feel free to submit a report if you think this should be improved.
    In the real world (like this), nothing's perfect and the better applications can handle errors gracefully. Ifran view shouldn't "hang" because of bad metadata or a format, it should ignore it and move on.

Version
    IrfanView 4.51
    OS
    32-bit Win Server 2003 SP1
    CPU Cores

IrfanView should be more robust, and allow to press Cancel in a timely fashion and correct the error, without killing the program in Task Manager or checking Image Properties before every print. The GUI is unresponsive, just like in the batch converter, which is unfortunate. The preview and printing could possibly be optimized: when asked to fit 20 by 26 meter image onto an A4 page, the program could crop a portion of it, and only deal with that, and maybe warn so we don't waste a page full of ink.

I've asked Irfan about a problem a few times, and I feel like I shouldn't bother him too much with problems that haven't concerned me personally... Any reason why Irfan doesn't read this forum? I understand that he may not want to reply and be dragged into conversations that take time. But with all the password prompts, this forum is still much better than any modern social medium.

Moderator Enterprise User Bhikkhu Pesala's Avatar
    Version
    IrfanView 4.51
    OS
    64-bit Win 10
    CPU Cores

I can only imagine how many emails Irfan Skiljan gets, and how many are bogus "bug reports" or impractical feature requests. Even on this little forum, we see our fair share. I am not surprised that he has no time to participate here.

With millions of users around the globe, and many of them not contributing financially or in any other way to IrfanView's development, I am amazed at how quickly he responds to my emails, often with a fix.

I can only point others to the Bug Report Sticky Thread and the Feature Request Sticky Thread.

I try to filter out the noise and forward what is likely to be acted upon. Even if an issue does not affect me personally, I will forward it if I think it will affect others.

So you don't think that this is a genuine BUG?
    You think it's acceptable for a program to hang and take 1GB of RAM?

Moderator Enterprise User Bhikkhu Pesala's Avatar
    Version
    IrfanView 4.51
    OS
    64-bit Win 10
    CPU Cores

Quote Originally Posted by hunnypuppy View Post
    So you don't think that this is a genuine BUG?
    You think it's acceptable for a program to hang and take 1GB of RAM?
    If I thought it was not a bug, I would have resolved the thread as No Bug

Please read the sticky thread as advised. Thread closed.

Thread Information