Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: batch converting static swf to image

Quote Originally Posted by j7n View Post
    You might be able to script the screenshot taking with AutoHotKey.
    That's not a bad idea, thank you!
    I'm not familiar with AutoHotKey, but I will give it a shot.
    My only problem is that my monitor can't be rotated, and it's not that huge. I have to think about how to solve that.

Version
    IrfanView 4.51
    OS
    32-bit Win Server 2003 SP1
    CPU Cores

You don't need to physically rotate the monitor. In the video adapter's settings there might be a way to rotate the picture 90° so that it can fit a page better. Set up the script before doing this. ; )

I use AHK to capture game screenshots with IrfanView.

RunWait d:\bin\i_view32\i_view32.exe /silent /capture=0 /convert=path/to/file/%SomeVariable%.tga

If all files are named sequentally like Page_XXX.swf, you can script their opening with an incrementing variable, and give the screenshot the same number XXX as name. Almost all problems with AHK have been described by someone already, and can be found via Google.

Quote Originally Posted by j7n View Post
    You don't need to physically rotate the monitor.
    Oh, you're right. I forgot about that
    Now my only concern is the bigger monitor. Even if I get a huge one with resolution of "2560 x 1440" it won't be enough even in portrait orientation, since the resolution of the pages vary between 1200-2900 pixels in height.
    I don't really like the idea to lose quality by shrinking the pages, but if there isn't other solution, I'll go with that option.
    Last edited by pete_the_exile; 18.06.2018 at 10:27 AM.

Version
    IrfanView 4.51
    OS
    64-bit Win 10
    CPU Cores

Just FYI: Windows offers a way to turn the desktop by 90° right or left or 180°.
    Try CTRL+ALT+LEFT oer RIGHT or DOWN. Get back to the usual layout with CTRL+ALT+UP.
    Have fun when doing this on a friends computer ;-)
    When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace - Jimi Hendrix

Version
    IrfanView 4.51
    OS
    CPU Cores

You will always lose some quality, scalability, going from vector to raster format. Archive the originals, which are quite compact in their present form.

Version
    IrfanView 4.51
    OS
    CPU Cores

Another option to consider is "printing" the Flash image to a PDF, which can later be used as is, or converted to raster graphic with many more tools than are available for Flash. Clicking through the print dialog is harder to automate reliably.

In my experiment, the vector shapes were considerably decimated, approximated with linear segments, and type was also converted to shapes. I am not sure if that is a flaw in the Flash Player (probably) or the PDF converter I used. The worse quality is visible at typical screen size, but might be considered acceptable. One more thing to watch out for, is ClearType, which will inflate file size and make the rendered graphic display worse on screens with different pixel order. Flash/PDF wouldn't use it, but some new alternate PDF tools might.

Maybe there is a "virtual printer" that can produce a ready to use image files.

There is a standalone version of a Flash player, so browser doesn't need to be involved. It makes no difference to the quality though.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks for the idea, but as you said, the loss of quality is clearly visible, so I wouldn't bother with this method.
    As soon as I have some freetime I'm going to try the browser+script technique.

Thread Information