Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Requested batch converting static swf to image

Hello,

It would be so awesome to see some improvement in Irfanview regarding batch conversion tool, since right now it isn't possible to convert from swf to image formats.
    I would like to use Irfanview to batch convert static swf files to lossless format, for example png. By static I mean 1-frame non-video swf files.
    I have a lot of ebooks in swf format, where every page is a static swf file, but there is no tool to do batch conversion.
    (Well okay, there is a proggy called "SWFtools", which is able to convert, but the output files are flawed, they have narrow vertical black lines on the picture.)

SWF files are listed on the Batch dialogue for opening.

Zip a few and attach them to the forum.
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

You're right, swf is listed, but Irfanview converter always give the same error upon processing: "Error! Can't load: d:\whatever.swf"
      In short, Irfanview can open these swf files for viewing, but it can't convert them.
      Here's a few of my swf files: example_flash_files.zip

Comment

The resolution is also very low in the IrfanView Flash player.

I think you're barking up the wrong tree. Keep looking for software that can convert this now obsolete format to something more useful.

I was able to take a screenshot of the file displayed in Opera 12.18 browser. IE11 will also display them if you allow blocked content.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Page 112.png
Views:	1
Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	83128
        Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 17.06.2018, 11:38 AM.
        Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

GIF is not useful to me, the softwares you linked are also useless:
          -some of them can't batch convert
          -some of them can't save as lossless gif
          -some of them can't even recognize the swf files I have
          -some of them make animated gifs from my static swf files...

Additionally, I've tried the following softwares:
          -SWFtool: the proggy is bugged, 60-70% of the output files have artifacts on them (vertical and horizontal black lines)
          -browsers: Chrome, Firefox, IE: they can display my swf files flawlessly, but they don't have batch convert function
          -veryPDF swf to image converter: this software is also bugged, 60-70% of the output files have artifacts on them (vertical and horizontal black lines)
          -Irfanview: it can display swf files flawlessly, but can't convert them
          -imtoo.com Video Converter Platinum 5: this software can't even recognize my swf files
          -AVDshare Video Converter: it can open and convert flawlessly 20-25% of my files, but it can't open the rest of them
          -Adobe Flash Player: it can display swf files flawlessly, but can't convert them

I tried a heck of a lot of software, my last hope is to make somehow Irfanview work.
          Last edited by pete_the_exile; 17.06.2018, 03:33 PM.

Comment

So basically, since you cannot find any software suitable for this task you want Irfan Skiljan to write a plugin to import SWF so that it can batch convert to other supported forums.

You're welcome to email Irfan Skiljan, but I would be surprised if he would do this. If you do, let us know what he says.

How do you get IrfanView to display SWF at full resolution? When I tried, it just showed a low-resolution preview image in the Adobe Flash Player.

If I had to do what you're attempting, I would load the flash files in a browser and take screenshots. FastStone capture can be set up to save directly to file, and to capture the same screen area as last time.
            Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 17.06.2018, 12:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
              How do you get IrfanView to display SWF at full resolution? When I tried, it just showed a low-resolution preview image in the Adobe Flash Player.
              Just resize the Flash Player window, the image will adjust to the new window borders.

If I had to do what you're attempting, I would load the flash files in a browser and take screenshots.
              The problem is that I have plenty of ebooks in swf format where every page is a single swf file, and I don't feel like screenshotting 3000 pic one-by-one.

So basically, since you cannot find any software suitable for this task you want Irfan Skiljan to write a plugin to import SWF so that it can batch convert to other supported forums.
              Not just for me, I've seen many discussions about batch swf converting, obviously I'm not the only one who wants this feature.
              Last edited by pete_the_exile; 17.06.2018, 01:49 PM.

Comment

I found one thread requesting export of frames from a SWF Video.

The reply suggested taking screenshots.

I think that will take less time than writing a program to do it. If you set it up right, it would take about 3,000 x 5 seconds or less = about four hours.

There is not much more here to discuss. See the sticky threads

How the Feature Request Forum Works and A Word for the Over-eager

Comment

You might be able to script the screenshot taking with AutoHotKey.

Associate SWFs with the web browser or other program with a maximized view, open a directory containing all SWFs in a file manager. Have the AHK program focus on the filemanager, press Down to advance to the next file and Enter, focus on the web browser, issue a printscreen command with IrfanView, which will automatically save the result to disk (choose uncompressed format to avoid a random delay), Ctrl-F4, go back to step one. Or you could import the filenames of the SWFs into the AHK script and issue commands directly without a file manager, which is a bit more complicated.

When done, batch crop all browser GUI off all the images. It should be the same. And save the images to the final format.

I can't write the script for you because there are some variables, like different browser versions having different ways to close the current window, admin rights in modern Windows and that sort of thing, but the steps to take are few and basic. Remember to have the AHK sleep/wait between each step.

You will need a huge monitor (!) to capture the images at good resolution. Maybe some sort of screen virtualization can make them bigger, but I have no idea about that. Maybe the monitor can be rotated into portrait view to match the aspect ratio of a page.
                  Last edited by j7n; 17.06.2018, 10:57 PM.

Comment

By the way, by saying "many discussions" I meant the whole web. Just do a google search and you will see.

About screenshotting... Maybe it would take a few seconds with a script, but not manually, that's for sure...
                    There is no need to write a program to do it, it would be enough to implement this feature to an already existing program. More than that, the swf conversion source code is already out there, anyone can use it legally for free.
                    Swf files might be obsolete by now, but they have been used extensively in the past 15 years, so there are still a plenty of content out there in this format.
                    And since this is the feature request forum, I think my idea is eligible for consideration.
                    Last edited by pete_the_exile; 18.06.2018, 04:37 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by j7n View Post
                      You might be able to script the screenshot taking with AutoHotKey.
                      That's not a bad idea, thank you!
                      I'm not familiar with AutoHotKey, but I will give it a shot.
                      My only problem is that my monitor can't be rotated, and it's not that huge. I have to think about how to solve that.

Comment

You don't need to physically rotate the monitor. In the video adapter's settings there might be a way to rotate the picture 90° so that it can fit a page better. Set up the script before doing this. ; )

I use AHK to capture game screenshots with IrfanView.

RunWait d:\bin\i_view32\i_view32.exe /silent /capture=0 /convert=path/to/file/%SomeVariable%.tga

If all files are named sequentally like Page_XXX.swf, you can script their opening with an incrementing variable, and give the screenshot the same number XXX as name. Almost all problems with AHK have been described by someone already, and can be found via Google.

Comment

Originally posted by j7n View Post
                          You don't need to physically rotate the monitor.
                          Oh, you're right. I forgot about that
                          Now my only concern is the bigger monitor. Even if I get a huge one with resolution of "2560 x 1440" it won't be enough even in portrait orientation, since the resolution of the pages vary between 1200-2900 pixels in height.
                          I don't really like the idea to lose quality by shrinking the pages, but if there isn't other solution, I'll go with that option.
                          Last edited by pete_the_exile; 18.06.2018, 11:27 AM.

Comment

Just FYI: Windows offers a way to turn the desktop by 90° right or left or 180°.
                            Try CTRL+ALT+LEFT oer RIGHT or DOWN. Get back to the usual layout with CTRL+ALT+UP.
                            Have fun when doing this on a friends computer ;-)
                            Win 10/64 Home 22H2 IrfanView 4.66/64
                            Hate has caused a lot of problems in this world, but it has not solved one yet. (Maya Angelou)

Comment

You will always lose some quality, scalability, going from vector to raster format. Archive the originals, which are quite compact in their present form.

Comment

Working...
                              X