Thread: Playing WEBM in IrfanView

Default Playing WEBM in IrfanView

I used to be able to play .webm files with IrfanView, but now it's not working. I have k-lite mega codec as well as the IrfanView 64-bit and 64-bit plugins. Could anyone please help me identify how to solve this? IrfanView is the best .webm viewer (multiple at a time, no lag when looping, etc.) and I would hate to not be able to use it!

Moderator Enterprise User Bhikkhu Pesala's Avatar
    Version
    IrfanView 4.51
    OS
    64-bit Win 10
    CPU Cores

Does the 32-bit version work?

Advantages of IrfanView 32-bit over 64-bit version:
    • Runs on a 32-bit and 64-bit Windows
    • Loads all files/images for normal needs (max. RAM size is about 1.3 GB)
    • Needs less disc space
    • All PlugIns will work: not all PlugIns are ported (yet) to 64-bit (like OCR) and some 32-bit PlugIns must be still used in the 64-bit version, some with limitations (see the "Plugins32" folder)
    • Some old 32-bit PlugIns (like RIOT and Adobe 8BF PlugIn) work only in compatibility mode in IrfanView-64
    • Command line options for scanning (/scan etc.) work only in 32-bit (because of no 64-bit TWAIN drivers)

IV Newbie
    Version
    IrfanView 4.51
    OS
    Win 10

I'm not OP but I have a similar issue. I used to be able to play WEBM files in IrfanView but now they all show a black screen for the video

Some other notes:
    • I have tried with both the 64 bit and 32 bit installation (with correct plugins for both)
    • IrfanView acts like it is playing a video, and audio still works if the WEBM has audio with it
    • IrfanView sets the window to the correct size based on the WEBM it's playing
    • What's very interesting is that pressing Ctrl-C to copy the current frame works. I can paste the frame into Paint and it has the correct frame based on progress through playing the WEBM
    • All other players on my computer can display WEBMs properly: Media Player Classic, VLC, and Windows Media Player
    • I have K-Lite Codec Pack Standard installed (and just reinstalled today)
    • I'm on Windows 10
    • If I set IrfanView to use an external player then the WEBM plays fine in the new window that pops up, but that isn't the functionality that I'm looking to fix here. I would like to get the internal player (with DirectShow) working
    • Using Internal Player with DirectShow disabled yields a popup with the message "Error: Windows can't play this file!" with some additional information and a link to www.fourcc.org. I tried installing some other codec packs to try and get the non-DirectShow option to work without success. In any case it was previously working with DirectShow enabled

Moderator Enterprise User Bhikkhu Pesala's Avatar
    Version
    IrfanView 4.51
    OS
    64-bit Win 10
    CPU Cores

I remember now. This was reported earlier and I sent a Bug Report.

Vince, you outlined the exact issue I'm having! Thank you for explaining it better. Any resolution?

I found a workaround that at least works for me.

Launch IrfanView and open any video file. The video will be blank. Pause it and leave it open.

Now launch another instance of IrfanView and open the video you want to play, it will play normally.

I think maybe the first instance takes up some broken video pathway, and the second falls back to some alternate pathway that works fine.

Bhikkhu Pesala, would appreciate if you could share this information in https://irfanview-forum.de/showthread.php?t=11689 and relay it to Irfan if possible, maybe it will help identify the issue.
    Last edited by Sinbios; 01.08.2018 at 03:31 PM.

IV Newbie
    Version
    IrfanView 4.51
    OS
    64-bit Win 10
    CPU Cores

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Sinbios View Post
    Launch IrfanView and open a video file. The video will be blank. Pause it and leave it open.
    Now launch another instance of IrfanView and open the video again, the video will play normally.
    I confirm this work-around (for what appears to be a Windows 10 version 1803 bug in DirectShow player windows).
    The work-around applies to all video formats, not just WEBM.

What is more, performing this work-around in IrfanView also enables other applications using DirectShow player windows for video playback to work again.

Quote Originally Posted by rdhw View Post
    I confirm this work-around (for what appears to be a Windows 10 version 1803 bug in DirectShow player windows).
    The work-around applies to all video formats, not just WEBM.

What is more, performing this work-around in IrfanView also enables other applications using DirectShow player windows for video playback to work again.
    Thanks for confirming, what other apps are you aware of that has this DirectShow problem? It's weird that this isn't more widely documented, maybe the broken interface is deprecated or something.

IV Newbie
    Version
    IrfanView 4.51
    OS
    64-bit Win 10
    CPU Cores

Quote Originally Posted by Sinbios View Post
    what other apps are you aware of that has this DirectShow problem?
    The "Sibelius" music notation application, from Avid.
    --
    Robin Walker

Thread Information