Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Slideshow for 32-bit Windows

IV Newbie
    Version
    IrfanView 4.50
    OS
    64-bit Win 10

Default Slideshow for 32-bit Windows

I am running I-view 64 on windows 10 and created a .exe slideshow. It would not run on a 32-bit windows 10 computer. What should I have done to create one that works?

Moderator Enterprise User Bhikkhu Pesala's Avatar
    Version
    IrfanView 4.51
    OS
    64-bit Win 10
    CPU Cores

I don't know of any reason why using 64-bit IrfanView should make any difference.

Maybe the slideshow is just too big for windows 32-bit?

Can you run the slideshow in the attached zip archive?
    Attached Files Attached Files

IV Newbie
    Version
    IrfanView 4.50
    OS
    64-bit Win 10

Reply: I didn't think it should make a difference either, but your slide show in the zip folder ran and mine didn't. Mine consists of 6 pictures and didn't run on either of two 32-bit machines. The executable file size is 33,522 KB.

I cut the size of the pics down and created a slideshow that was only 3,317 KB. That still didn't run. The error is "This app can't run on your PC. To find a version for your PC, check with the software publisher"

IV Newbie
    Version
    IrfanView 4.50
    OS
    64-bit Win 10

The attached zip slideshow didn't run on the 32-bit machine either - same error

Version
    IrfanView 4.51
    OS
    64-bit Win 10
    CPU Cores

Try upgrading to IrfanView 4.51 and install the updated plugins.

Version
    IrfanView 4.51
    OS
    32-bit Win Server 2003 SP1
    CPU Cores

The slideshow.exe included with 64-bit IrfanView 4.51 is an x64 program and doesn't run on 32-bit Windows. I think the OP should create the slideshow in 32-bit IrfanView, which can be installed in parallel and used only for this specific task. A picture display program doesn't really "need" to be 64-bit. Maybe IV should implement both options for slideshow.

Version
    IrfanView 4.51
    OS
    64-bit Win 10
    CPU Cores

The advantage of using 64-bit IrfanView is if you're creating a large slide-show it can do it faster.

Either way, the EXE files created should run on 32-bit Windows unless there is a problem due to the 2Gbyte memory limit.

Using 32-bit or 64-bit to create the slideshow should not make any difference unless there is some bug I don't know about.

Version
    IrfanView 4.51
    OS
    64-bit Win 10
    CPU Cores

I sent a report to Irfan Skiljan. I will let you know what he says.

Version
    IrfanView 4.51
    OS
    32-bit Win Server 2003 SP1
    CPU Cores

The stub program that is prepended to the slideshow data is 64-bit, no way around it. One might expect that IV would have 2 or more different versions included (like SFX modules in winrar), or that the standard one had the most possible compatibility (32-bit, no special dlls), but that is not the case. Opting for 64-bit just to handle 2 GB of data seems like poor design. Most IrfanView plugins are small and frugal on resources. There have been games with much greater size that are 32-bit with resources in separate file(s). The speed at which the a slideshow is read and advanced is small anyway.

Version
    IrfanView 4.51
    OS
    64-bit Win 10
    CPU Cores

Quote Originally Posted by j7n View Post
    The stub program that is prepended to the slideshow data is 64-bit, no way around it.
    Then how come the slideshow that I attached (produced with 64-bit IrfanView) runs on 32-bit windows?
    Quote Originally Posted by lnbbrady View Post
    Reply: I didn't think it should make a difference either, but your slide show in the zip folder ran and mine didn't.
    Maybe when Inbrady wrote
    Quote Originally Posted by lnbbrady View Post
    The attached zip slideshow didn't run on the 32-bit machine either - same error
    my slideshow was meant and not, as I assumed, the slideshow that was not attached to his/her post because it was too big.

I found nothing on the IrfanView webpage nor in the i_plugins.txt to warn about slideshows not running on 32-bit windows if produced in 64-bit IrfanView.

I agree that using 32-bit IrfanView to produce the slideshow is the right way to go.

A lot of users don't understand that the 32-bit version is better than the 64-bit version for all but working with very large files.
    Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 09.07.2018 at 05:17 AM.

Thread Information