Slideshow for 32-bit Windows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Solved Slideshow for 32-bit Windows

I am running I-view 64 on windows 10 and created a .exe slideshow. It would not run on a 32-bit windows 10 computer. What should I have done to create one that works?

I don't know of any reason why using 64-bit IrfanView should make any difference.

Maybe the slideshow is just too big for windows 32-bit?

Can you run the slideshow in the attached zip archive?
    Attached Files
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Reply: I didn't think it should make a difference either, but your slide show in the zip folder ran and mine didn't. Mine consists of 6 pictures and didn't run on either of two 32-bit machines. The executable file size is 33,522 KB.

I cut the size of the pics down and created a slideshow that was only 3,317 KB. That still didn't run. The error is "This app can't run on your PC. To find a version for your PC, check with the software publisher"

Comment

The attached zip slideshow didn't run on the 32-bit machine either - same error

Comment

Try upgrading to IrfanView 4.51 and install the updated plugins.
          Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

The slideshow.exe included with 64-bit IrfanView 4.51 is an x64 program and doesn't run on 32-bit Windows. I think the OP should create the slideshow in 32-bit IrfanView, which can be installed in parallel and used only for this specific task. A picture display program doesn't really "need" to be 64-bit. Maybe IV should implement both options for slideshow.

Comment

The advantage of using 64-bit IrfanView is if you're creating a large slide-show it can do it faster.

Either way, the EXE files created should run on 32-bit Windows unless there is a problem due to the 2Gbyte memory limit.

Using 32-bit or 64-bit to create the slideshow should not make any difference unless there is some bug I don't know about.

Comment

I sent a report to Irfan Skiljan. I will let you know what he says.

Comment

The stub program that is prepended to the slideshow data is 64-bit, no way around it. One might expect that IV would have 2 or more different versions included (like SFX modules in winrar), or that the standard one had the most possible compatibility (32-bit, no special dlls), but that is not the case. Opting for 64-bit just to handle 2 GB of data seems like poor design. Most IrfanView plugins are small and frugal on resources. There have been games with much greater size that are 32-bit with resources in separate file(s). The speed at which the a slideshow is read and advanced is small anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by j7n View Post
                    The stub program that is prepended to the slideshow data is 64-bit, no way around it.
                    Then how come the slideshow that I attached (produced with 64-bit IrfanView) runs on 32-bit windows?
                    Originally posted by lnbbrady View Post
                    Reply: I didn't think it should make a difference either, but your slide show in the zip folder ran and mine didn't.
                    Maybe when Inbrady wrote
                    Originally posted by lnbbrady View Post
                    The attached zip slideshow didn't run on the 32-bit machine either - same error
                    my slideshow was meant and not, as I assumed, the slideshow that was not attached to his/her post because it was too big.

I found nothing on the IrfanView webpage nor in the i_plugins.txt to warn about slideshows not running on 32-bit windows if produced in 64-bit IrfanView.

I agree that using 32-bit IrfanView to produce the slideshow is the right way to go.

A lot of users don't understand that the 32-bit version is better than the 64-bit version for all but working with very large files.
                    Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 09.07.2018, 05:17 AM.

Comment

Just out of curiosity, I created the same slideshow with the same set of files using both 32-bit and 64-bit versions.

1. The 32-bit version took 35 seconds to create, and its file size is 369,413 bytes
                      2. The 64-bit version took 23 seconds to create, and its file size is 345,768 bytes

So there is some advantage of using 64-bit IrfanView if you're creating enormous slideshows, provided they do not need to run on 32-bit Windows.

Comment

I could not get any progress on this. Irfan Skiljan thinks it is obvious that the slideshow won't run on 32-bit OS if you produce it with a 64-bit application.

Bottom line: Use 32-bit IrfanView as your default viewer (as I do) and only use 64-bit IrfanView if you're working with enormous images because it loads them faster.

Comment

Working...
                        X