Unintended skips by mouse-wheel while attempting to rename

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

no bug Unintended skips by mouse-wheel while attempting to rename

I started this thread as a feature request, but Bhikkhu Pesala recommends making it a bug report.

I use the 'rename' feature invoked by the F2 key a lot, mainly to add descriptive titles to the bare index numbers assigned by my camera.

I have discovered that if one accidentally touches the mouse wheel while renaming a file, IrfanView may skip forwards or backwards to another file, and if one does not notice this happening, the new file gets the name intended for the old one. Not a disaster, but definitely inconvenient!

If the mouse pointer is within the area of the 'rename' dialog box, the wheel is ignored and there is no problem. If the mouse cursor is outside the 'rename' box but within the IrfanView window, the skip function is active. I don't think this should be permitted since it creates an ambiguous situation - which file is the user intending to rename? Also, other functions in the main IrfanView window do seem to be inhibited while 'rename' is active.

I have two computers, both running Win10-64 1803, that behave this way. I have also tested irfanview64 on one of them, with the same result. I have even tried going back to the oldest version of IrfanView that I could find - 4.25 (from 2015) - and it does the same thing. So why has no-one complained before?

The only explanation that I can come up with is that the wheel on my current Logitech mouse is very easily moved, whereas in other mice the wheel goes around in clicks so that they are less easily nudged by accident.
    Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 11.07.2018, 06:19 AM.

I did not recommend making a bug report here. There is nothing more that we can do except offer opinions whether or not it is a bug. I already said that it is easy to reproduce.

Send a report to Irfan Skiljan if you think it's worth it. Let us know if you sent one and what he says, then I will update the thread's status.
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Windwos setting?

Your problem may be caused by a mouse setting in Windows 10. There is an option to activate inactive windows by pointing on them with the mouse.

I've disabled the option and could not scroll through the pictures when pointing on it while the rename box was open. With the option enabled scrolling through the pictures with the mouse was possible.
      Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 11.07.2018, 12:24 PM.
      Win 10/64 Home 22H2 IrfanView 4.66/64
      Hate has caused a lot of problems in this world, but it has not solved one yet. (Maya Angelou)

Comment

Thanks Kuki - your suggestion works for me, unless there are unanticipated side-effects.
        The Windows option seems to be enabled by default, so others may also find your fix useful.

I have communicated with Irfan and he says that the problem is definitely with Windows, not irfanview.

Quote: "This is a new "feature" in Win10 ... it may be nice in some cases,
        but not always ;-( "

So the solution is to turn the option Off, as Kuki says. In detail:
        Start >> Settings >> Devices >> Mouse >> 'Scroll inactive window ...' to 'Off'.
        A restart may be necessary, though not on my computer.

This problem obviously relates to irfanview's use of the mouse wheel - that has been discussed extensively elsewhere in this forum.
        Last edited by Dick Holford; 14.07.2018, 07:34 PM. Reason: Add Irfan's response

Comment

Working...
        X