Some Photoshop files open black, color depth over 100 bpp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some Photoshop files open black, color depth over 100 bpp

A quarter of a series of 50 Photoshop files opens black in IV. I have searched for differences between the Photoshop files that open normally and the ones that open black. The only consistent difference I found was that the images that do not open report having large 'original colors' depth: up to 152 bpp. The largest color depth of images that do open normally is 88bpp. Both figures seem very high to me. I can't find any info online about images with such high color depths, 48 bits seems to be the highest normally. Of the images that open black in IV the image information reports that it has 1 colour and loaded in 0 millliseconds.
    All the images were originally created (over a several years period) on a Mac and are now on Windows. In Photoshop, both images that open black and that open normally (of this series) report being 8bits. All the files have the .psd extension. Files sizes vary between 1 to 32 MB, but the issue seems unrelated to the file size.
    Any clue what could cause this opening black of certain Photoshop files?
    Thank you!
    Attached Files

No clue at all. Are you producing these files from PhotoShop?

Can you attach one?
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Dear Bhikku,

I don't own the images so I am not sure if I can upload them. But I think I found the clue after all. It seems the problem occurs in images with more than 8 alpha layers. I took an image that showed up black. It had 13 alpha layers. I deleted an alpha layer, saved, deleted a next alpha layer, saved again. Each alpha layer also appears to add 8 bpp to the reported color depth (is this correct?). The first image that did show up normally had 8 alpha layers and reported as having 96 bpp. The whole testset:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Irfanview viewing Photoshop files no. alpha layers test.PNG
Views:	1
Size:	6.4 KB
ID:	83165

Also see attachments.

All images have dozens of layers, and alpha layers, sometimes paths.

Thank for your willingness to help! That always gives new energy to search further and dive deeper. Hopefully someone else might also be helped by this, because I had been searching in vain online and in the files for a number of hours.

Paul
      Attached Files

Comment

At least I can solve it now by removing alpha channels (= selections), but the idea was to do a batch of hundreds of .psd files so if there would be a solution this would be very useful.
        (I originally said alpha layers but the expert told me it are alpha channels that are used for selection)

I attach (I got permission) two files: one with 8 alpha layers (that works) and one with 9 alpha layers (that shows black)
        Attached Files

Comment

If you need to work with alpha channels IrfanView is not the best product.

If you cannot afford PhotoShop, try Serif PhotoPlus (which can view both files), or Affinity Photo.
          Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Thanks!
            We also use Photoshop, but wanted to use IV for a large batch conversion+ resize+ rename + text inscription. For which it is perfect.
            Fortunately only part of the files has so much alpha channels so we can work around.

Thanks again for quick responses!
            Paul

Comment

Working...
            X