Moving file onto itself erases file

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

no bug Moving file onto itself erases file

When viewing an image, pressing F7 to move and erroneously choosing the same folder that the image is located in, causes the image to be erased. There should be an error stating that you cannot move to the same location and the move action should be prevented.

Enable the checkbox to warn before overwriting (recommended).

Click image for larger version

Name:	Ask Before Overwrite (recommended).png
Views:	1
Size:	18.0 KB
ID:	83174
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Originally posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
      Enable the checkbox to warn before overwriting (recommended).

[ATTACH=CONFIG]5336[/ATTACH]
      It does seem to be a bug despite there being an option to warn you. Windows does not allow you to overwrite a file with itself, let alone erase the file if you attempt to.

Comment

Originally posted by cmatrix View Post
        It does seem to be a bug ...
        I agree. If the target was overwritten (as the dialog says will happen), that would be OK. But the file is deleted and you end up with no version of the file! Definitely a bug.

Comment

Please read the Sticky Thread on Reporting Bugs
          Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

I have reproduced the problem on my PC. This is definitely a bug, the photos are really irretrievably deleted!

Comment

If you follow the recommendation, you won't have this issue.

Comment

Working...
              X