White Background Converted to Light Grey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

White Background Converted to Light Grey

Having a very similar color issue. I'm pulling in listings for pictures of black items against a 255/255/255 white background for Amazon listings, using a mask on the item and exporting as PNG. When I pull into Irfanview to convert to a JPG and do clean up, it's converting the background to a light grey... I don't understand why it's doing this.

I have just done a test by creating an image which is half white and half black in Irfanview which I then saved as a 24-bit (full color) PNG image. I then re-opened it and checked the colors being displayed by clicking and holding down the mouse left button on the 2 halves (image 1 below). The colors shown in brackets on the Caption bar were still (000000) for black and (111111) for white (or 0/0/0 and 255/255/255 on RGB scale).

I then saved as a 24-bit JPG and re-opened that (image 2 below). The colors now were (010101) for black but still (111111) for white (1/1/1 and 255/255/255). So not what I assume you are seeing.

I had unchecked Color management in the Viewing tab of Properties/Options of course. I did try unchecking the gamma correction in that tab too but that made no difference. Are you perhaps doing something I am not, like decreasing color depth?

Image 1 starts here><.......and image 2 starts here ><

Comment

Here's the example files; I had to trim the PNG down to attach it. Process is
      >>Open PNG in Irfanview>>Save As JPG

And I get the resulting JPG which has grey around the edges.
      Attached Files

Comment

Both attached images are JPG.
        Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

If I fill the background of the JPG with pure white and save it as PNG, then open that and save it as JPG, the background is still white.

PNG Version

Click image for larger version

Name:	image855.png
Views:	1
Size:	518.6 KB
ID:	83180
          JPG Version

Name:	image855.jpg
Size:	73.4 KB
ID:	83181
          Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Originally posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
            Both attached images are JPG.
            Weird. Source file was PNG. Just tried again; the forum is converting it. Notable the Forum managed to do the conversion without screwing up the background...
            Last edited by noiseguy; 01.09.2018, 10:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
              If I fill the background of the JPG with pure white and save it as PNG, then open that and save it as JPG, the background is still white.
              I just did the same test and got same result. Here's a URL to the original files; the PNG is 4.5mb and I can't upload it.

http://hondaspree.net/image855-PNG.png
              http://hondaspree.net/image855-JPG.jpg

Comment

The linked PNG does not have a white background. It is a 32-bit PNG with a transparent background. The background will be grey if you use the default window colour of black, but if you change it to white you will get a white background if you save it as JPG.

See Properties/Settings, Viewing, Main Window Colour.

Name:	image855-PNG.jpg
Size:	443.7 KB
ID:	83182

Comment

... I'm not getting the PNG having a transparent background. I did the above change and this is the result: the picture with a light grey background surrounded by white.
                  Attached Files

Comment

This is taking too much of my free time.

As I said, the original 32-bit PNG has a transparent background. The main window colour set in IrfanView will affect the background when it is opened. A black window colour gives a grey background, a white window colour gives a white background, and a red window colour gives a pink background. The alpha transparency must be about 50% because it is not completely transparent, or the backgrounds would be black, white, and red respectively.

Please use a proper photo-editor for editing 32-bit images. The IrfanView window only supports 24-bit.

Comment

If you do not believe that your PNG image linked to in post #7 has a transparent background and you do not trust Irfanview then just save the file (as a PNG image) on to your Desktop. Then drag the icon around the desktop over the background picture (if it has one) or over other objects on the screen (such as the taskbar) and look if you can see them through the icon.

Comment

Working...
                      X