Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Solved Only Two Squares Shown for Colour Selection

Originally posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
    AFAIK the Paint plugin developer has moved on to other things, but he has released the code as OpenSource for other who would like to develop the project.

For me, IrfanView has always been an image viewer, not an image editor. The limited tool set in IrfanPaint is more than enough for my needs, just to touch up a photo, rotate a scan, or add some text.
    Yes for me too, for basic editing the paint plugin is adequate for most things. However it does not work properly in 4.51. The colour select only shows two small squares for colour selection with the rest of the selection window being empty. I installed 4.44 which I was using previously and it works properly again.

I do not have 4.50 so have not been able to check that. I did look for a download link but have been unable to find one.

Can anyone provide a working link to 4.50?

I am using Win 7 SP1 x64, a new install a few days back.

How many colours does the current image contain?

Did you install the updated plugins for IrfanView 4.51?
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Originally posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
      How many colours does the current image contain?

Did you install the updated plugins for IrfanView 4.51?
      Yes I downloaded the latest Irfanview and plugins before installing. This is a new Windows 7 install and a few things needed updating because I only had v4.44.

When I tried it the paint colour selection dialogue only showed 2 colours in the basic colours and nothing else in the window, including no custom colours that could be selected and the rest of the colour selection window was empty. I don't think that there was the define custom colour button either. The png image I tried the paint plugin on has 2026 colours. I uninstalled Irfanview 4.51 and installed 4.44 but I cannot remember whether I installed 4.44 plugins or not because it was installed to the same folder as 4.51 after that was uninstalled. I do not know whether the plugins would be removed or not after uninstalling Irfanview.

4.13.73 IrfanPaint is installed now which is the same for both 4.44 and 4.51.

I have re-installed 4.51 in a new folder to keep 4.44 and 4.51 separate. However now for some unknown reason 4.51 paint dialogue is working as it should. The same as 4.44, which I cannot explain or understand.

I have renamed the plugin folder in 4.51 and tried the paint plugin and it says that I need to install the plugins. Therefore I would of had to install them to even get the paint dialogue to open. The paint.dll is identical in both 4.44 and 4.51. I have renamed the plugin folder again and the paint dialogue is working once again.

I wonder whether installing 4.44 had some effect and whether that effected Irfanview and it's plugins.

Comment

You have not replied to Bhikkhu Pesala's question on how many colours did the image contain.

You say that now you can see the full colour range again in v4.51. So I imagine you have opened an image in the Paint dialog and clicked on either the foreground or background squares at the bottom to view the Color selection dialog there.

Try it again just to check that you see the full colour range, then click on Decrease color Depth in the Irfanview Image menu and select 256 colors, OK.
        Look at what you now see in the Paint dialog color selection dialog. It shows 256 small square boxes most of which will probably be filled with a color.
        Now decrease color depth to 16 and you will still see the 256 squares but a maximum of 16 will have colours in them.
        Last of all decrease color depth to 2 and then tell us if you see what you have been reporting as a bug.

That is why Bhikku is asking you how many colors your image contained.

Comment

Originally posted by Mij View Post
          You have not replied to Bhikkhu Pesala's question on how many colours did the image contain.
          Yes I did. See below.

Originally posted by Lister Of Smeg View Post
          Yes I downloaded the latest Irfanview and plugins before installing. This is a new Windows 7 install and a few things needed updating because I only had v4.44.

When I tried it the paint colour selection dialogue only showed 2 colours in the basic colours and nothing else in the window, including no custom colours that could be selected and the rest of the colour selection window was empty. I don't think that there was the define custom colour button either. The png image I tried the paint plugin on has 2026 colours. I uninstalled Irfanview 4.51 and installed 4.44 but I cannot remember whether I installed 4.44 plugins or not because it was installed to the same folder as 4.51 after that was uninstalled. I do not know whether the plugins would be removed or not after uninstalling Irfanview.

4.13.73 IrfanPaint is installed now which is the same for both 4.44 and 4.51.

I have re-installed 4.51 in a new folder to keep 4.44 and 4.51 separate. However now for some unknown reason, 4.51 paint dialogue is working as it should. The same as 4.44, which I cannot explain or understand.

I have renamed the plugin folder in 4.51 and tried the paint plugin and it says that I need to install the plugins. Therefore I would of had to install them to even get the paint dialogue to open. The paint.dll is identical in both 4.44 and 4.51. I have renamed the plugin folder again and the paint dialogue is working once again.

I wonder whether installing 4.44 had some effect and whether that affected Irfanview and it's plugins.
          You say that now you can see the full colour range again in v4.51. So I imagine you have opened an image in the Paint dialog and clicked on either the foreground or background squares at the bottom to view the Color selection dialog there.

Try it again just to check that you see the full colour range, then click on Decrease color Depth in the Irfanview Image menu and select 256 colors, OK.
          Look at what you now see in the Paint dialog color selection dialog. It shows 256 small square boxes most of which will probably be filled with a color.
          Now decrease color depth to 16 and you will still see the 256 squares but a maximum of 16 will have colours in them.
          Last of all decrease color depth to 2 and then tell us if you see what you have been reporting as a bug.

That is why Bhikku is asking you how many colors your image contained.
          Yes, however, the image had over 2000 colours, therefore, it was not due to there being only 2 colours in the image. The rest of the colour selection window was missing/empty. That was not the reason for what I saw. It was a bug but now seems to be resolved after installing 4.44.
          Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 07.09.2018, 08:51 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X