Crash when opening EPS files with high DPI settings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Crash when opening EPS files with high DPI settings

By default, EPS files open at 96 DPI under Settings > Plugins > Postscript options, which results in blurry displays of my EPS files. I can increase the resolution to something like 200 x 200 DPI to get a more crisp image. However, this only works for EPS files under about 100 KB. Trying to open anything larger using the same DPI settings causes Irfanview to immediately stop working and crash.

Does anyone know a workaround to this problem? It's been frustrating to scroll through a directory of EPS files and have the viewer crashing unexpectedly.

Are you using 32-bit or 64-bit IrfanView? I cannot get a crash here even with the 32-bit version with my postscript settings at 600 dpi when opening files of several Mbytes.

I suspect that it may be due to file complexity rather than just files size.

Use 7-Zip, WinZip, or whatever to compress a few problematic EPS files and attach the archive to the forum.
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

I use the 64-bit version of Irfanview. I think you're likely right about complexity - a quick test over a range of file sizes didn't seem to reveal any kind of size pattern.

I've attached two EPS files that show this: the larger 1.7MB file can open up at up to 215 DPI before crashing, the smaller 1.2 MB file can only open up 140 DPI.
      Attached Files

Comment

No problem with either at 600 dpi here.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Also works at 600 dpi.png
Views:	1
Size:	10.0 KB
ID:	83205Click image for larger version

Name:	Also works at 600 dpi.png
Size:	10.0 KB
ID:	83205Click image for larger version

Name:	Postscript Options.png
Size:	7.0 KB
ID:	83207
        Attached Files
        Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Thanks for taking the time to take a look at those - with those identical settings, I'm still getting a crash. From looking at the current memory size from your successful attempts, I thought it was a memory issue. But I can open 80mb PNGs just fine, which show a current memory size of over 700mb. I'm feeling stumped then for what else to try - this is a new and clean installation of Irfanview also, just reinstalled 2 days ago.

Comment

It may be a ghostscript problem. This is what i_plugins.txt says

* 49. POSTSCRIPT.DLL - This PlugIn allows IrfanView to read PS, EPS, PDF, AI files.
            Note: Ghostscript (32-bit or 64-bit for IrfanView-64) is required:
            Download Ghostscript for free. The #1 PDL conversion tool available today. Ghostscript is an interpreter for the PostScript® language and PDF files. It is available under either the GNU GPL Affero license or licensed for commercial use from Artifex Software, Inc.

(take the EXE installer, like "gs910w32.exe" or "gs910w64.exe")

Comment

Ghostscript was also recently installed. I have also tried the 32-bit versions of both Irfanview and Ghostview, which shows the same behavior - low DPI settings works well to open most all eps files, but higher DPI settings (>150) will start to crash Irfanview.

Comment

For working with EPS files, I suggest using a vector Drawing Program.

DrawPlus X8 has now reached the end of its development life, but for only £20 or $25 it does a lot more than its modern replacement — Affinity Designer.

It's not Adobe Illustrator, but it is adequate for most vector editing tasks.

I was able to open both of your EPS files easily, and exported just part of one to an 8-bit PNG with transparency.

Name:	DPX8 Export.jpg
Size:	195.4 KB
ID:	83208

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion. Seems like Irfanview just won't quite be able to be the open-all-images tool that I want it to be.

Comment

It is a bitmap viewer. It does well to open some vector images: PDF, EPS, WMF, and SVG for example, plus RAW photos, but a Swiss Army Knife is not the best tool for carpentry. If you want to work a lot with vectors, use a vector drawing program. Even DrawPlus struggles with some complex EPS images that Adobe Illustrator opens easily.

Comment

No problems here either. 600 DPI, 64-bit IrfanView, on a modest Windows 10 laptop.

Both files can be opened and edited by Inkscape, a capable open-source editor, that I recommend.
                      IrfanView 4.62 64-bit

Comment

Originally posted by Jacal View Post
                        No problems here either. 600 DPI, 64-bit IrfanView, on a modest Windows 10 laptop.

Both files can be opened and edited by Inkscape, a capable open-source editor, that I recommend.
                        I actually have Inkscape 0.92 installed, but always forget about it as I always use DrawPlus or PagePlus.

I just tried to open EPS files, but the option does not exist. All Vectors does not list them. How did you open them?

Name:	No Matches.png
Size:	8.0 KB
ID:	83209

Drag and Drop Fails too.

Name:	Failed to Load EPS.png
Size:	3.5 KB
ID:	83210
                        Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 26.10.2018, 10:02 PM.

Comment

Sorry, the same issue on my PC, on my laptop I have obviously already done the homework and forgot about it. Two Ghostscript folders have to be added to Environment Variables:

inkscape,vector,drawing,graphics,svg,xml,document,poster,linux,open source,foss,floss,free software,libre software,libre,freedom,line,shape,diagram,flowchart,graph,extension,plugin,software,download,platform,windows,win,mac,osx,ubuntu,fedora,debian,help,tutorial,chat,irc,home,homepage,professional,casual,powerful,text,web,www,w3c,standard

I can't say, whether it is worth the troubles, having no experience with this format.

Name:	ink_can.png
Size:	23.2 KB
ID:	83211
                          Last edited by Jacal; 28.10.2018, 02:24 PM.
                          IrfanView 4.62 64-bit

Comment

Working...
                          X