IrfanView app in Windows 10

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IrfanView app in Windows 10

Windows Secrets sent me this email whose subject is Meet the Most Useful Windows 10 Apps in the Microsoft Store.

Much to my surprise, the author has IrfanView on the article list, along with OneNote for Windows 10, Paint.net, and Nextgen Reader. I say surprise not for IrfanView itself (I love it!) but because it's listed as a Windows app.

So I went to the Microsoft Store to check on it and installed it. Now I wonder if I have one IrfanView desktop app and one IrfanView app, and which should I keep to get the most of its power?

TIA.
    Desktop PC: Windows 10 Pro - 64-bit • Intel Core i7 • 12 GB RAM
    Laptop PC: Windows 10 Pro - 64-bit • Intel Core i5 • 6 GB RAM
    IrfanView 4.60 • 32-bit

I think it is best to download IrfanView and it's plugins from the IrfanView site.

If I am not mistaken you won't get the plugins with the Windows App version.

Open the Help menu, Installed plugins to compare.

Also: From the IrfanView Site:

Advantages of IrfanView 32-bit over 64-bit version:
    • Runs on a 32-bit and 64-bit Windows
    • Loads all files/images for normal needs (max. RAM size is about 1.3 GB)
    • Needs less disc space
    • All PlugIns will work: not all PlugIns are ported (yet) to 64-bit (like OCR) and some 32-bit PlugIns must be still used in the 64-bit version, some with limitations (see the "Plugins32" folder)
    • Some old 32-bit PlugIns (like RIOT and Adobe 8BF PlugIn) work only in compatibility mode in IrfanView-64
    • Command line options for scanning (/scan etc.) work only in 32-bit (because no 64-bit TWAIN drivers)
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

The most important thing is that the application works stably and without any problems, at the same time I like the design, it is pleasant to use

Comment

A great program! I would be very happy if it would also run on Android?

Comment

Originally posted by mosss45 View Post
          A great program! I would be very happy if it would also run on Android?
          Hi, completely agree with you. As far as I know, this program only works on Windows. Also, in the main site does not contain information about compatibility with the android operating system.

Comment

Since all the programs that I use are for Windows OS, I will probably never even try another OS. Developing applications for multiple operating system is something that needs to be done from the beginning. Since IrfanView has a sole developer, and started life on Windows several decades ago, I don't see it ever becoming a cross-platform application, but you never know.

From the FAQ on IrfanView.com
            • Q: Can I use IrfanView on Linux?
              A: Yes. There is no native-Linux version of IrfanView. However, you can use IrfanView in conjunction with Linux programs like WINE, Windows Linux emulators and Linux-based virtual machines. Take the ZIP version of IrfanView and unzip it or copy your existing Windows IrfanView folder to Linux. This is easier because the installer may need additional Windows DLLs to run. See instructions on: IrfanView on Linux with Wine .
            • Q: Can I use IrfanView on Mac?
              A: Yes, probably. There is no native-Mac version of IrfanView. However, you can use IrfanView in conjunction with Mac program like WineBottler/DARWINE. Take the ZIP version of IrfanView and unzip it or copy your existing Windows IrfanView folder to Mac. This is easier because the installer may need additional Windows DLLs to run.
            Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Android is so fundamentally different compared to Windows, so the application would have to be recreated from scratch.
              My system: IrfanView 4.62 64bit, Windows 10 22H2, Intel Core i5-3570, 16GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1050Ti 4GB

Comment

Working...
              X