Option to center top image on screen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Requested Option to center top image on screen

Would be great if user can select position for this option, e.g, top, center, left, right.
    For me, center top is more than enough. :3

The menu 'Options > Settings > Viewing > Window Options' doesn't fit your needs?
    Win 10/64 Home 22H2 IrfanView 4.66/64
    Hate has caused a lot of problems in this world, but it has not solved one yet. (Maya Angelou)

Comment

That's not what I'm trying to say, sorry for the lack of explanation because I'm not good at English.
      What I mean is the option about when viewing image in actual size that larger than screen size, vertical image especially, at full screen. If I used Setting > Full screen > Center image on screen (Hotkey: C) the result is it will jump to center of image when I go to next image. If I didn't use this option when I go to next image it will start at the top of image, but with image's position stick to the left of screen.
      What I want is the ability to select the position of image for the option 'Center image on screen'. Add the sub option such as 'Center top' would be nice.

Comment

It is still difficult to understand exactly what you want. Do you want to center the image on the center of the screen when the image is already being displayed?

If that is what you want to do, and you have got a keyboard with a number pad, you can just press 5 at the center of the pad. To quickly move the image from there to the Top, bottom, left or right edges of the screen you can press and hold down the Page Up, Page Down, Home or End buttons. If the Number Lock LED has been turned On, by pressing the NumLock key, then you will need to use those keys in the cluster just to the left of the pad. If the LED is Off, then those same 4 keys on the number pad can also be used.

Comment

I would also prefer to have an option for centering when in full screen, align image horizontally across the screen but positioned at the top.
          Also if the image is bigger that my monitor than set its wide only as my monitor is wide (so that whole image is visible). If the image is smaller, then just center it horizontally.

Here is my try to explain:

When the setting for Full screen is "Show images/movies with the original size" as far as I can see there is only an option for "Center image on screen".
          This will center an image both vertically and horizontally. If the image is big enough then turning off "Center image on screen" works fine. Here are the examples.

An example for image used - the result is fine
          Click image for larger version

Name:	evUULfo.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	122.6 KB
ID:	83243
          Deactivated "Center image on screen" - this is great, everything is visible, image is full width size as the monitor, and positioned at the beginning

Name:	s6dYvpd.jpg
Size:	374.4 KB
ID:	83244
          Activated "Center image on screen"

Name:	Utz67SE.jpg
Size:	483.5 KB
ID:	83245

When the image isn't as big, here is one example how the image looks. I am not uploading it in full size, but this image is naturally 1600px width and my monitor is set to resolution 1920x1800
          Example for image

Name:	sWh7SZc.png
Size:	177.1 KB
ID:	83246
          Activated "Center image on screen" - this centers both vertically and horizontally (I want to disable vertical centering but keep horizontal)

Name:	idCqDol.png
Size:	324.7 KB
ID:	83247
          Deactivated "Center image on screen" - there is no centering here so the image is positioned at the beginning (this is great), but it is not aligned in the center of monitor, so there is a black thing on the right (it should have equal black on the left and on the right - depends on the size of image)

Name:	899Q7Tp.png
Size:	976.9 KB
ID:	83248

I would prefer for full screen center to be in center of the monitor horizontally, but at image beginning. I am aware that for full screen we can set "Center image on screen" and then use Page Up for scrolling to the beginning but we need to do that for every image we open. It would be better if it just works
          Last edited by shkico; 17.01.2019, 06:23 PM.

Comment

I am afraid that what I have to tell you will, in my opinion, lead you in to the most confusing set of options imaginable. I have spent a great deal of time in correspondence with the program author (Irfan Skiljan) trying to persuade him to make changes to make it a bit more intelligible but he has a policy of refusing to make changes that might confuse those who already understand how the program works. If there are people who do understand this subject, all I can say is that none of them have ever offered help on this forum in the years I have been subscribing to it.

What I think you want to do may well be possible but you may have to discover it for yourself.
            Smazer had discovered the Hotkey C method of centering an image. There are two routes by which you can enable that mode which are numbers 2 and 3 that you see below. I told him that you could also press the number key 5 on the number pad (if you have one on your computer).

Most people never find these routes which apply only to the fullscreen (no frame) mode. Instead they expect the settings for the framed window and desktop viewing modes (routes 1 and 4) to apply. They don't after you press Enter and go Fullscreen. I do not think that the settings of route, 5 via the Slideshow dialog, work in normal fullscreen either even though they may start out with a common route.

Below is a list of of those routes. To write down all the instructions in full would take far too, long so I use a shortened format. Start from the main menu. The menu you should choose is the first item of my shortform. Each > means select that item followed by the next one (you may need to click it or press Enter to see it). What you look for then is a sub-menu, a new dialog box or the final item with the word "Center" in it.

1. View > Display options (window mode)..> Center (smaller) images in window
            2. View > Show Fullscreen options.. > Center image on screen (Hotkey C) *
            3. Options > Properties/Settings > Full Screen/Slideshow > Center image on screen (Hotkey C) * > Use left mouse button .. or > Use right mouse button
            4. Options > Viewing > Window options > Put the window in the middle of the screen when loading new image * > Use right mouse button for context menu * > Remember the last window size/position (on program exit)
            5. File > Slideshow > Slideshow options > Play Mode > Play in Window mode > Centered *Width *Height

All these routes are methods of aligning the center of the image with the center of the screen. The alternative aligns the top left corner of the image with the top left corner of the screen (or the window). Many users get confused about the framed modes and I have concentrated most effort in trying to get changes there but, as I said, with no success.

There are methods of quickly moving the cursor from the centre to the middle of one of the sides. The routes to the settings that make this easier are shown after the * symbol by enabling use of various keys to move the cursor rapidly. Some allow the image to be dragged instead. If the cursor is moved to the side either manually or automatically then the image will be zoomed about that position using the mouse wheel with Ctrl key pressed.

Let us know if you have any success.
            Last edited by Mij; 18.01.2019, 12:54 AM.

Comment

I’m stuck on version 4.32 for this reason. Versions 4.32 and early automatically center the image horizontally and places the top of the image at the top of the monitor. This is useful when viewing long and narrow images like infographics.

The easiest/simplest way to resolve this issue is to allow the user the choice to center the image both horizontally and vertically rather than assume that the image should be centered in both directions. This would only require 1 additional radio button.

Comment

Working...
              X