Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Original-size small images appear on a black-filled screen

I have IrfanView version 4.30

When I open an image, I want to see it in original size, in a window that fits perfectly the size of the image. For big images (bigger than my screen) that's not a problem, it works fine. For smaller images, this is what I see on my screen:

Click image for larger version

Name:	2gshmdz.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	17.1 KB
ID:	85164

The image is on the upper left. As you can see, the rest of the screen (right of the image and under the image) is filled with black. I don't want this. I want the rest of the screen to be visible as normal.

I'm not sure what's the problem. Fiddling with Properties doesn't help, and none of the Display options does what I want (I've tried them all, but none gets me what I wish to see: the image in original size in a window fitting that size, and the rest of my screen as normal, not a sea of black).

TIA for your help.

The current version is 4.51. First upgrade, then see if the problem persists.

Where are your toolbars and menu?
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

I found the solution, purely by luck. I didn't need to upgrade or anything.

Double click on the title bar did the trick. By "the title bar" I mean the blue bar that appears at the top of every application window in a typical Windows OS. Whether it's a net browser, a text editor, a graphics program like Irfanview or whatever, you always get this blue bar on top of the window -- with the icons for maximize, minimize and close at the right end.

Usually, when you open an application window and double click on the blue title bar, it maximizes the window. Another double click restores it to whatever was its original size. Strangely, with Irfanview, double click on the blue title bar makes the screen look like this:

Click image for larger version

Name:	2gshmdz.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	17.1 KB
ID:	85164

And another double click on the blue title bar causes the sea of black around the image to disappear -- making the areas of the screen that were covered in blackness become visible again. Simple as that.

Honestly, I'm kinda surprised that you guys didn't know the answer for something so easy and elementary. I mean, come on!! Advising me to go through a whole version update, when all I needed to do was one little click on the right place... wow, talk about overkill. Don't tell me I'm the first person ever who had this annoyance!?!?

Comment

Well, you are the first person to report this issue. When I double-click on the title bar it maximises the IrfanView window, and when I double-click on it again it restores it. I see no sea of black (or yellow in my case because that is my main window colour in Settings, Viewing). So perhaps an upgrade is not such a bad idea.

Most software tends to get better with each new version, though if your needs are basic upgrading really is unnecessary.

Are you using any third-party software like a window manager that might be causing this? Are you using windows scaling?

I really have no idea, as I have never come across the issue.
        Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 29.11.2018, 10:56 AM.
        Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

From the image that you included in your post no #3 it looks to me that you are displaying in full screen mode. If that is so you do not have an Irfanview window frame and blue title bar to double click on. If you are displaying in full screen you just press the shortcut button "3" to make the image fit the window.
          I am not surprised that Bhikkhu Pesala is as confused as I am about your question.

Comment

Hi neneroi,
            in the menu bar go to 'Options > Properties/Settings'. In the Properties/Settings window goto 'Full screen/Slideshow' and mark 'Center image on screen'.
            While for fullscreen you can configure whether the image is shown in the upper left corner or centered, in a normal or maximized window the picture is
            always centered.
            Alternativly, just press 'C' on the keybboard when you display an image in full screen mode (not in a maximized or normals window,
            where 'C' would activate the screencapture dialogue).
            Win 10/64 Home 22H2 IrfanView 4.66/64
            Hate has caused a lot of problems in this world, but it has not solved one yet. (Maya Angelou)

Comment

Working...
            X