Buttons to move text next to preview button

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Requested Buttons to move text next to preview button

I use IrfanView every day to make annotated screenshots.

My only problem is calculating precisely how the text is going to look, sometimes gets too big or too small or goes off-screen.

The preview button helps somehow, but there's no way to reposition it.

As you can see in the image, I wish I could have positioned text a little left, a little up

Click image for larger version

Name:	irfanview text tool.png
Views:	1
Size:	343.0 KB
ID:	85180

My suggestion is this

Add Up/Down Left/Right buttons.
    • On click, move position a little and preview.
    • Click and hold, move a little and hold preview.

May look like this:

Name:	new-tool.png
Size:	236.5 KB
ID:	85181
    Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 14.12.2018, 08:29 PM. Reason: Removed caps lock

For this I am using Ctrl-T (Edit -> Insert text ...), where one can click into the image to set the text placement. So without the Paint tool.
    IrfanView 4.62 64-bit

Comment

A work-around is to apply the text, Undo, then try again. This way the text that you typed is not lost.

A better solution is to use FastStone Capture. I use it many times a day to annotate screenshots. It is much better at this task than IrfanView, and is always running in the background if set to launch on Windows startup. It uses very little RAM until a screenshot is taken. Version 5.3 is freeware. PrintScreen, Alt+PrintScreen, Ctrl+Printscreen, etc., are easy to remember shortcuts. Others can be assigned.

Although IrfanView is a Jack of all trades, I don't use it for all tasks when other tools are more suitable.

The Paint plugin is no longer being developed, so this feature request is unlikely to be implemented unless someone else takes up the challenge of maintaining and enhancing the code.
      Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Nice trick

Originally posted by Jacal View Post
        For this I am using Ctrl-T (Edit -> Insert text ...), where one can click into the image to set the text placement. So without the Paint tool.
        Ctrl+t is a nice trick! but lacks the arrows.

My workflow is
        - SCREENSHOW
        - select region, Ctrl+Y to crop
        - F12, add an arrow and text
        - Copy

And then paste to gmail, whatsapp web, word, etc.

Haven't found a faster workflow for screenshots than IrfanView

Comment

If I needed to paste an image to Gmail my workflow would be:

• Ctrl+PrintScreen
          • Drag to select area
          • D to open FastStone's annotation editor
          • Draw arrows, etc.
          • Close editor
          • Ctrl C to copy
          • Close FastStone Window
          • Paste into Gmail

Name:	Workflow.png
Size:	12.5 KB
ID:	83223
          Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Working...
          X