hotkey for changing directory sort order

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Requested hotkey for changing directory sort order

Currently it takes 6 (2 x 3) clicks to go from sort directory by name ascending to sort by date descending. I do this a lot.

It would be really useful to have a hot key (shortcut) that cycles directory sorting. The hotkey (eg "0") would switch sorting in this order "by Name, Name (natural/logic order), by Size, by Extension, Date , By EXIF Date, No Sort". I am suggesting a minor change to the order on "sort directory files" sub menu as well (for consistency) because:
    • Name --> ext --> date is the order of columns in most file directory viewers (eg explorer, total commander).
    • Name --> ext --> date cycling would be more common in my opinion.

A temporal change on status bar message indicating selected sort order would be helpful and save 2 clicks just to check your sort order.

Shift+hotkey would select cycling reverse order
    Ctrl+hotkey would select descending order
    Ctrl+shift+hotkey combines both (eg ctrl+shift+1)

Adding another button to the toolbar would be nice for toolbar fans, personally I would get more use from a hotkey - perhaps an easier to add feature??

Please let me know if it will be considered.

In my personal opinion, this is unlikely to get done, but you can always ask Irfan Skiljan. I agree that the current method sucks, and with the lack of any access key for Descending, and the fact that D is used twice means that is impossible to use Alt+O, F, D, etc., to change the sort order (always quicker than the mouse if you use the same route frequently).

A good workaround (in my opinion) is to assign a shortcut to open the current file in 64-bit IrfanView (or 32-bit if you generally use 64-bit).

32-bit and 64-bit versions use different INI files, and so could be set to use the two sort orders that you frequently use. Then it is just a matter of Shift+1 or Shift+2 to switch versions and sort orders.

If you set the same shortcut in each version to switch to the other version, there is only one shortcut to remember.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Set External Editors.png
Views:	1
Size:	16.7 KB
ID:	83224
    Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 19.12.2018, 01:46 PM.
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Thanks BP. Good workaround tip when I eventually go to 64 bit OS. The shortcut via editor hot key is great idea now I will have to ask Irfan for a few more "external editor" slots for the future.

I may tackle this with script workaround that restarts program after tweaking ini file entry value for "FileSortOrder="

Some selected values you can use are:
      (Name,Asc)=0
      (Size,Asc)=2
      (Size,Desc)=52
      (Date,Desc)=51
      Last edited by ScottR; 22.12.2018, 12:07 AM.

Comment

See this thread:

Let us know if you get it to work. I never have.
        Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 22.12.2018, 05:43 AM.
        Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Working...
        X