Problems on re-installing IrfanView

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Solved Problems on re-installing IrfanView

I made the mistake of downloading the new (4.52) version in 64bit instead of just updating my 32bit version, found that the 64 bit did not seem to work well, so uninstalled both versions and did a clean install of the 32bit of 4.52. Now when photos are opened in IrfanView they are darker and smaller than previously - and, most importantly, under "Image" the Resize/Resample function is not working. Though I have used IrfanView for years, I am not an experienced user and do not use most of its functions, but do depend on it for viewing my photos. Any help will be appreciated.

If the Resize/Resample function does not appear to be working, probably you have selected "Fit images to Window," in View, Display Options.

Advantages of IrfanView 32-bit over 64-bit version:
    • Runs on a 32-bit and 64-bit Windows
    • Loads all files/images for normal needs (max. RAM size is about 1.3 GB)
    • Needs less disc space
    • All PlugIns will work: not all PlugIns are ported (yet) to 64-bit (like OCR) and some 32-bit PlugIns must be still used in the 64-bit version, some with limitations (see the "Plugins32" folder)
    • Some old 32-bit PlugIns (like RIOT and Adobe 8BF PlugIn) work only in compatibilty mode in IrfanView-64
    • Command line options for scanning (/scan etc.) work only in 32-bit (because no 64-bit TWAIN drivers)

The 64-bit version is recommended for working with large images. If you regularly edit RAW photos, they will load much faster in the 64-bit version. Both can be installed at the same time and run at the same time. They have independent INI files and do not interfere with each other.

In setting file associations, maybe choose the 32-bit version for most, and the 64-bit version only for RAW formats. Windows 10 makes life difficult for setting file associations. There are several previous threads on the topic.
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Thank you very much. I will save your response for future use. I solved my immediate problem by simply running System Restore so that I reverted to v.4.51 - where I will stay for the foreseeable future since it serves my purposes very well.

Comment

Working...
      X