Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: New monitor - how to restore aspect ratio?

  1. #1
    IV Newbie
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    6

    Default New monitor - how to restore aspect ratio?

    I recently had to replace my monitor. Sadly, only widescreens were available.

    All pics now look stretched.

    In my Windows 7 settings, there are 3 screen resolution sizes, no sliding scale.

    I view pics in fullscreen mode, is there any setting in Irfanview that will compensate and restore the fullsize pics to a 4:3 aspect ratio?

  2. #2
    Moderator Enterprise User Bhikkhu Pesala's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    East London
    Posts
    5,852
    Version
    IrfanView 4.51
    OS
    64-bit Win 10
    CPU Cores
    1

    Default

    You should select the recommended resolution for your monitor.

    The image can be stretched to fit in fullscreen mode. Try shortcuts 1-6 for the available options.

    If your pictures are mostly the old 4:3 aspect ratio (800x600 or similar), they won't fit well on a typical 16:9 aspect ratio wide-screen monitor without being cropped. You can do this in IrfanView batch mode.

  3. #3
    IV Newbie
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
    If your pictures are mostly the old 4:3 aspect ratio (800x600 or similar), they won't fit well on a typical 16:9 aspect ratio wide-screen monitor without being cropped.
    Sadly, I want the whole picture, not a cropped one.

    But, by playing about with various things, I have found this...

    Image -> Resize/resample -> Set new size as percentage of original -> width 75, height 100

    (75 being 16:9/4:3 = 5.33/4 = 0.75)

    Untick "preserve aspect ratio" - and that does the trick.

    How do I automatically apply this to all photos in fullscreen?
    Last edited by Marky; 22.12.2018 at 08:48 PM.

  4. #4
    Moderator Enterprise User Bhikkhu Pesala's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    East London
    Posts
    5,852
    Version
    IrfanView 4.51
    OS
    64-bit Win 10
    CPU Cores
    1

    Default

    If you must, just press shortcut key = 4 = stretch to fit.

  5. #5
    IV Newbie
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    6

    Default

    I just tried that, and it actually made the problem worse.

    I suspect that I haven't made it clear what I am trying to do, so, I shall attempt to make it clearer.

    Most of the pictures I have are old physical photos that I have scanned.

    They are not all the same shape and size, depending on where I had them developed, what offers they had on at the time and also the orientation of the pictures themselves.

    Back when I had a normal (square) 17 inch monitor, in fullscreen options, I had "fit image height to screen height" checked.

    Viewing fullscreen I could see the pictures with nothing else on the screen and the aspect ratio was correct.

    Some would fit the entire screen, some would have black screen outside the picture on the left and right.

    Now that I am lumbered with a widescreen monitor, in this mode, the pictures look stretched as the screen is wider.

    The solution found I posted in my second post was effectively to lessen the width of the photo to compensate for the extra screen width, so that the photo now looks like it should - IE not stretched.

    The photos that filled the screen on the square monitor, have black at the sides of the screen.

    The photos that had black at the side of the screen screen on the square monitor, have a greater width of black at the sides of the screen.

    But, I can effectively view a picture in the correct aspect ratio in fullscreen.

    So, what I am asking is, for viewing in fullscreen, how do I get Irfanview to compensate for the extra screen width automatically?

    While the solution I have found works, but, I have to go through the whole process every single time I view a photo.

    Stretching to fit fullscreen actually has the opposite effect - and actually sends the aspect ratio even further out of whack.

  6. #6

    Default

    I'm not quite understanding this. If a picture has a 4:3 aspect ratio for example it won't fit a WS (16:9) monitor. Landscape or portrait format at best (biggest) display size the 4:3 picture will (or should) fit the height of the screen but give black borders right and left.

    If the monitor is stretching such pictures to fit the full 16:9 screen then it is a graphics setting issue either with the monitor or the graphics card, maybe both. You need to go to your desktop and right click and look for whatever graphic options are offered. If you're using a graphics card that has some other method of accessing the settings then use that.

    I think the setting you need to check is something like Intels' on board HD graphics options: Panel Fit > Maintain Display Scaling. Whatever the GPU manufacturer there should be something equivalent to that. If it is being used you need to turn it off because I'm pretty sure that will be what is scaling your pictures to to fit the 16:9 display.

    Hope I've understood what you want and that this helps.

    EDIT

    I've just dug around in IrfanView's settings and ^ that may not even be necessary. Under View > Show Fullscreen options there is a general setting: Fit image height to screen height. That is surely what you want. A picture with an aspect ratio not 16:9 should display at the full height of the screen (IrfanView's display area maximum height) but with borders.

    The only problem I can see with this is if you're displaying panoramic images with an aspect ratio greater than 16:9

    I can't easily test it with a WS and IrfanView's other default settings because I actually use a 5:4 monitor but if you do that and the aspect ratio is still set to 100% H/W it shouldn't stretch the image horizontally to fill the WS display.
    Last edited by BadRobot2018; 24.12.2018 at 12:46 PM.

  7. #7
    IV Newbie
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BadRobot2018 View Post
    I'm not quite understanding this. If a picture has a 4:3 aspect ratio for example it won't fit a WS (16:9) monitor. Landscape or portrait format at best (biggest) display size the 4:3 picture will (or should) fit the height of the screen but give black borders right and left.
    What you say is correct, but my workaround [see my second post] fixes this.

    Say, for example, on my old monitor, the height of the picture (if you put measuring tape against the screen) is 10 cm, and the width is 18 cm, on the widescreen monitor, the height will still be 10cm, but, the width is now 24cm, making the picture look stretched.

    My workaround resizes the picture back to 10cm by 18 cm, but the black border on the left and right is wider as a percentage of the screen on the widescreen monitor.

    BUT, I have to do this every single time I view a photo, so am looking for a way to get Irfanview to do it for me automatically.

    Quote Originally Posted by BadRobot2018 View Post
    If the monitor is stretching such pictures to fit the full 16:9 screen then it is a graphics setting issue either with the monitor or the graphics card, maybe both. You need to go to your desktop and right click and look for whatever graphic options are offered. If you're using a graphics card that has some other method of accessing the settings then use that.

    I think the setting you need to check is something like Intels' on board HD graphics options: Panel Fit > Maintain Display Scaling. Whatever the GPU manufacturer there should be something equivalent to that. If it is being used you need to turn it off because I'm pretty sure that will be what is scaling your pictures to to fit the 16:9 display.

    Hope I've understood what you want and that this helps.
    Sadly, this is not an option for me. The manufacturer of my graphics card stopped updating the driver several years ago

  8. #8
    IV Newbie
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BadRobot2018 View Post
    I've just dug around in IrfanView's settings and ^ that may not even be necessary. Under View > Show Fullscreen options there is a general setting: Fit image height to screen height. That is surely what you want. A picture with an aspect ratio not 16:9 should display at the full height of the screen (IrfanView's display area maximum height) but with borders.

    The only problem I can see with this is if you're displaying panoramic images with an aspect ratio greater than 16:9

    I can't easily test it with a WS and IrfanView's other default settings because I actually use a 5:4 monitor but if you do that and the aspect ratio is still set to 100% H/W it shouldn't stretch the image horizontally to fill the WS display.
    That is a setting I already use and worked perfectly, on my old monitor.

    Say, for example, I had a photo that, on my old monitor was 10% left black border, 80% photo, 10% right black border.

    On the widescreen it is still displaying at 10% left black border, 80% photo, 10% right black border, but, because the screen is wider, it needs to display at 20% left black border, 60% photo, 20% right black border.

  9. #9

    Default

    I get it, very awkward behaviour if you can't save those display ratio options on that page. It is odd that they're not saved but the fit to screen height setting is. I'm not sure what to suggest.

    Have you tried changing the screen resolution from the Windows Control Panel to a 4:3 one or or whatever your previous monitor's aspect ration was? That should be possible whatever GPU or graphics option you're using.

    Control Panel > Appearance and Personalization > Display: Change display settings. I would have thought you should be able to set 1600x1200 or a similar 4:3 ratio either there or via the Advanced Settings.

    Obviously doing that is going affect the way everything is displayed so it may well not suit you. It would certainly pain me having to adjust the aspect ratio of the monitor every time I was starting/stopping doing some graphics work.

  10. #10
    Power User j7n's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Cyberspace
    Posts
    516
    Version
    IrfanView 4.51
    OS
    32-bit Win Server 2003 SP1
    CPU Cores
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marky View Post
    Sadly, this is not an option for me. The manufacturer of my graphics card stopped updating the driver several years ago
    It seems like the graphics card hasn't automatically detected the native resolution of your monitor. Widescreen displays and odd resolutions have been common for many years and should work. Maybe you need to clean-install the display driver. If you use an nVidia video card, you can also add a custom resolution manually using its control panel application. You want to add and use a widescreen resolution, not 4:3, to avoid it being stretched.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •