I lost my settings by update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reported I lost my settings by update

I have just updated to the latest 4.52 version. (From 4.5? Or 4.44?) I use Win7x64, the 64-bit version; but I installed the 32 bit version, too (as last time, too). When I just over-installed with the new installer EXE, I lost my settings. I can not tell, all of them or not -- exactly some, for example the list of loaded extensions, the text (from EXIF) for the image in full screen view, and so on.
    Last edited by incifinci; 27.12.2018, 01:40 AM. Reason: Detalization

Hi,
    it's okay to use the 32-bit version of Irfanview (IV) on a 64-bit OS.

Ususally the INI-file is not overwritten when you install an update of IV.

IV uses two INI-files: the first in the applications main directory (C:\Program Files (x86)/IrfanView). This usually has only two entries:
    [Others]
    INI_Folder=%APPDATA%\IrfanView
    'INI_Folder=' defines the path to the second and 'real' INI-file, where all settings are stored.

Maybe you had no second INI-file in a separate folder, but only the one in the IrfanView-folder, the the installation of an update could have
    overwritten that one file. Or the path in the first INI-file is not correct, so IV doesn't find it.
    Win 10/64 Home 22H2 IrfanView 4.66/64
    Hate has caused a lot of problems in this world, but it has not solved one yet. (Maya Angelou)

Comment

You can actually install both 64bit and 32bit versions on the same machine without any problems.

There are certain plugins/tools that only work with the 32bit version like the extended .PNG save options which I use quite a bit. The 64bit version is noticeably faster as you would expect.

There are a number of reported issues with v4.52 (64bit), maybe this is another problem to add. If the 32bit version was what was being updated then the existing configuration .INI should have been preserved.

Just confirming what Kuki Dent says really: the default (and recommended) setting for Windows Vista, 7, 8, 10 is for that .INI to be in AppData. If that location option was not altered at the point of installation and the user settings have gone I doubt there is any backed up copy of the original .INI.

If you're desperate to recover your old settings you might like to try this on the updated 32bit .INI file in AppData:-

Retrieve overwritten files from the Previous Version

Previous Versions is a backup and recovery feature in Windows that can be used to restore deleted, formatted, modified, damaged or lost files and folders. You might be able to restore overwritten files from the Previous Version if you are lucky enough! Here's how to do it:

1. Right-click the file and choose "Properties".
      2. Open the "Previous Version" tab.
      3. Select the latest version and click "Copy".
      4. Click "Restore" to get back overwritten files.

I've just had a look at my own IrfanView .INI files there and that did give me the option of restoring two previous versions.

System Restore should always be used before doing that sort of thing and, of course, if that had been done before the update issue which caused the problem it could also be tried too.

BTW the AppData folder mentioned is hidden by default. To find it use File Explorer's Organise Button (Windows 7) > Folder and search Options > View tab and change the default hide option to: Show hidden files, folders and drives. Now go to your User profile and you'll find the AppData folder is now showing. In "Roaming" find the IrfanView folder with the .INI or INIs inside.

Both the 32 bit and 64bit ones are kept there so if at any point you installed a 64bit version don't be surprised by that. However if you've just been using the 32bit version recently, as you said, that is the only one you should be concerned with.

Good luck.
      Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 28.12.2018, 04:37 PM.

Comment

Working...
      X