No announcement yet.

The next image changes window position -- always appears in the left corner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

no bug The next image changes window position -- always appears in the left corner

I have just updated to the latest version. (From 4.5? Or 4.44?) I use Win7x64, the 64-bit version. In the previous release, when I scrolled to the next image with the mouse wheel, the image was retained in the same position, for example, on the right side of the screen. Now, however, the next image appears always in the left corner (or in center, if I set this setting). Is this a known bug, or can it be corrected with some setting?
    Last edited by incifinci; 27.12.2018, 01:46 AM.

This is due to the loss of your INI-file. Please see my answer to your other request.
    Win 10/64 Home 22H2 IrfanView 4.66/64
    Hate has caused a lot of problems in this world, but it has not solved one yet. (Maya Angelou)

Comment

Sorry, I can not tell you, what the situation was with my INI files of the previous installation. My backup of C:\ is too old (4 year...). However, I think, keeping the same window position, when I scroll to the next image, should work even for a fresh installation.
      1. Just tell me please, what settings I need for this.
      2. Or is this really a bug in my mounting, and better will a fresh reinstall, after a deep uninstall with ReVo uninstaller?
      3. Or after a simple uninstall?

Comment

In the menu go to Options > Properties/Settings. In the Properties/Settings-Window goto Viewing. There you'll find a section named Window options,
        where you can set what IV shall do with a normal window.

Personally I was tired of an IV window opening on a non expected position or centered and then being coverd by other windows, so I have
        activated 'Remember the last window position' and always use a maximized window.
        Ym2c.

You do not need to uninstall and reinstall IV. Just go through all options and put the IV settings as you find them useful.
        Win 10/64 Home 22H2 IrfanView 4.66/64
        Hate has caused a lot of problems in this world, but it has not solved one yet. (Maya Angelou)

Comment

Sorry, there is nothing about my problem. I tried them all earlier with no effect.
          Now I try clean reinstall.

Later
          Did it, and did not help -- the behavior exists. What to do?
          Last edited by incifinci; 28.12.2018, 06:00 AM.

Comment

Are you talking about browsing in windowed mode or fullscreen mode?

Go to properties, Fullscreen / Slideshow and enable Centre image on screen (Hotkey: C)
            Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

No, I am not about fullscreen. Simply opened image, not full and not total screen -- simply by the image dimensions (image is less, then screen). Scroll with mouse to the next -- and it appears in the left corner...

I totally uninstalled the previous, booth 32+64 bit versions. Then did a fresh install, only 64 bit. NOTHING set (only associated only image extensions, while installed), nor installed plugins or LANG. Clicked on a JPG file -- and the above behavior persists. INI in USERS dir, as recommended.

Interesting: just after installing, through some minutes, the second image window kept the position -- moved to left only the third. But now, just the second jumps to the left corner.

I afraid, the next step will 4.50 reinstall again... Sorry, it has an other important bug with BOM of image-list file, what is already solved in 4.52. (I wrote earlier about it.)
              Last edited by incifinci; 28.12.2018, 06:34 AM.

Comment

It may be your display options.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Display Options.png
Views:	1
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	83227

If you want to reinstall 4.50 (or whatever), just put it in a different folder to keep 4.52 installed until you figure it out. Maybe you have fit to desktop enabled?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Install Multiple Versions.png
Views:	1
Size:	1.2 KB
ID:	83228
                Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

So I understood. Yes, thank you -- "Fit (only big images) to desktop" is enabled at me, and it really affects the behavior. Interesting: I did a clean reinstall, and this is the default setting -- though your linked menu image shows (as at me too, of course), that "Fit window to image" "must be" the default. However I like and use all time "Fit (only big images) to desktop".

I did some images with different size. Some of them less, than screen size, some of them bigger. I open a little (less than screen) image. Drag its window anywhere near to the right of the screen, for example. When I step to the next (or previous) image by scrolling with mouse...

1. ...if this next image is less than screen, too: the window keep its earlier position (as I want it to be); with third-fourth-n-th image the situation is the same, while...
                  2. ...the next image will bigger (or equal) size, than screen. In this moment the image's window (its upper left corner) jumps to the very left upper corner of the screen. And in the future it keep this position even if some next image will again less size, than screen.

I remember, 4.5 (or 4.44?) was keeping the position all time. I remember well, because I enough frequently compared 2 set of big(er than screen) images, keeping open 2 window, beside each other, and scrolling booth, one by one. So I only ask: is this the planned behavior of the program in the new edition? If so, I have a suggestion to wishlist: return to previous behavior, keep always the window's (its center? left upper corner? upper center? -- hmm...) position.

Comment

I just tried in IrfanView 4.44 and the behaviour is the same. If the image is bigger than will fit at the current window position, the upper left corner moves as far as it needs to to fit the window to the image.

Unless someone can convince me that it used to behave any differently in 4.51, this is clearly not a bug.

Comment

Thank you for your testing.

And I tried 4.50. Unfortunately, you are right, my memory may have deceived me. Or maybe, I remember comparing smaller pictures. Anyway I keep my suggestion, I think it is more logical, and certainly more appropriate.

Comment

If that's the behaviour that you want, use Fit Image to Window, instead of Fit Window to Image

Comment

Working...
                        X