No announcement yet.

Resaving JPGs taken with iPhone takes a very long time - over 10s per file

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reported Resaving JPGs taken with iPhone takes a very long time - over 10s per file

Resaving any JPG taken with an iPhone takes a very long time, up to ~10+s per picture even on an 8 core CPU. It goes up to 15-20s on dual/quad core CPUs. Tested on multiple devices with Intel CPUs (3 and 4 series i5 and i7) and AMD CPUs (FX series), plenty of RAM (8-32GB), all SSDs, multiple versions of Irfanview (4.44, 4.51, 32 and 64bit with the appropriate plugins installed), multiple OSes (Win 8.1/10), and JPGs taken with diffrent phone models (iPhone 6s/8, multiple iOS versions). The result is always the same. Any other JPG is resaved almost instantly even when multiple times larger.

The same effect is present whether just resaving the picture with Save As or using batch conversion. All other options are left default except enabling "Keep original EXIF data". Only 1 CPU core is used (100%) at any time by Irfanview and the process shows up as Not Responding for the entire duration of the conversion.

Can anybody try to replicate this? Maybe something I apply on all my devices triggers this behavior, although this is unlikely.

I cannot test this, but maybe it has something to do with how photos are opened in IrfanView from an iPhone?

See this long thread.
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Sorry for the very late reply, I forgot about the issue. It's still the same on the latest IrfanView version with the latest plugins, on fully updated Windows 10 machines with various configurations.

I copy the .jpg file from the phone to the machine, open it with IrfanView, and hit Save As and re-save it as jpg with the standard settings (4 x Keep original *, Reset EXIF orientation tag).

Just now this took ~13s on a machine with an i7 quad core 2.6GHz CPU and an SSD, which doesn't suggest such a low performance.

I will provide a sample photo via PM.

Comment

Originally posted by close View Post
        I will provide a sample photo via PM.
        There is nothing I can test as I do not use an iPhone.

Please read the thread linked to in my previous post.

Here, on my hardware it saves in about 11 seconds.

AMD A10-6800K, 8 Gb WinSPRLevel 5.9 on Win 10 64-bit 1909 build 18363.836
        Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 13.06.2020, 12:25 PM.
        Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Thank you for testing, I just needed a confirmation that this isn't happening on my machine for some obscure reason (like a specific esoteric setting I apply on all machines I use).

For a standard ~4MB iPhone jpg even 11s is way too much so I will look into submitting a bug report.

Comment

Working...
          X