Ability to Display Scanned Image in its actual physical size

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Requested Ability to Display Scanned Image in its actual physical size

Example: I've just scanned in a old photo whose dimensions are 2.56 x 4.13 inches. I would like to display this on my screen so that the displayed image is that size. I would also request that this display setting be a "sticky", so I can view photos one after after in the same size as the original prints. The net effect of this is like I was just looking through my original stack of photos.

Seems as though this should be fairly easy. The scanned dimensions are available in irfanview (seen in Image-Information, on the Print Size line), and presumably you can inquire of the OS (Win 10 in my case) what screen size and resolution is being used. That should be sufficient to set the magnification. Hope you agree!

Thanks for considering this,

- geop

It is not difficult to calculate the zoom scale that you need to use.

For example, if you scan at 300 ppi, the scale factor will be 96*100/300% = 32%

Lock the zoom (Shift+L) before browsing to the next/previous image.
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Again - Ability to Display Scanned Image in its actual physical size

Not sure why the thread I just started is closed. The answer was not a solution to my request, as the size of my screen was not taken into account - a zoom of 32% will produce images of different sizes (in inches) on different sized screens. Perhaps I explained poorly, but I would like a scanned copy of a 4"x6" photo to be displayed as 4"x6" on the screen.

Comment

I merged the thread, as I did not mean to close the previous thread.

The size of the screen is irrelevant, it is only the resolution that matters.

If your screen has a different resolution, then just adjust the calculation to suit.
        Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Yes, you are quite correct that only numbers that matter are the scan resolution in dots per inch and the screen resolution in pixels per inch. An irfanview user could do a one-time calculation of the pixels per inch for each computer or device they might happen to use. Then for EACH image they would need to go to Image-Information to get the dots per inch of the scan (unless they already know the all the images to be viewed were scanned at the same resolution). Then ppi / dpi gives the required zoom. Then they need to click the zoom adjusters a number of times to get (close to) the right level.

It would be way more convenient though to just put irfanview into an "actual physical size" display mode and let it handle everything. Best part of this is one need not be concerned about mixing different scan resolutions in the same folder because irfanview would deal with it.

As a programmer myself, this should be quite simple to program, and adding one more display option does not seem to be a big problem.

Very handy too for people initially checking their scans against the actual photos.

Think about it ...

Comment

You may as well forward the request to Irfan Skiljan, and see what he says.

As you say, it should not be too hard to code, and only needs one more option on the Display options menu.

I don't think it's worth doing as there is an easy workaround for the most likely use case, but let us know what Irfan Skiljan says and I will update the thread's status.

See Help, About IrfanView for his email.

Comment

Working...
            X