Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Animated JPEGs?

Hi,

the camera in my Huawei Mate 10 Pro creates what they call 'moving pictures', which seem to be 'animated JPEGs'.
    I've never encountered this image format before, actually didn't even know JPEGs can contain animations, but then I put this rather on my ignorance ;-)
    However, I noticed that IView doesn't display these animations.

Is this feature not supported or would I have to use a certain plugin or setting?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks!

ps. I hope my question was placed in the correct section of the board, if not, feel free to move of course
    Last edited by rookey; 01.01.2019, 06:07 AM. Reason: corrected smartphone model

I never heard anything about animated JPEG. I could not find any recent information either.
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Hi rookey,

each image or video has a small code at the beginning, eg 'GIF89a' for GIF-images of 'JFIF' for JPG/JPEG-images. With an image open in IrfanView
      press F3 to show this information.
      Since Irfanview will not load your image/video, try Notepad or another text editor to get the information (drag the image/video on an open Notepad window)
      and post the code or the first 20 bytes here. May be then someone knows how this files can be viewed.
      Win 10/64 Home 22H2 IrfanView 4.66/64
      Hate has caused a lot of problems in this world, but it has not solved one yet. (Maya Angelou)

Comment

Hi,

I've uploaded it here: https://www.inner-smile.com/20190101000431.jpg

Interestingly, on the image viewer of the Huawei smartphone, it shows an animation of about 1-2 seconds duration, but I couldn't find any image viewer for desktop which supports this format.

cheers,
        r.

Comment

Clearly, IrfanView does not support this format; so moved to feature requests.

Unless it becomes popular no one is likely to write a plugin for IrfanView. If they do, Irfan Skiljan might add support in a future version.

If you want 24-bit animation to use on a web site, try Animated PNG. There are free tools like APNG Assembler that can build animations from multiple still PNG frames. I often use them to display Tabbed Dialogues on my website. GIF is an easier alternative but only supported 256 colours. You still need a program to build animated GIF images. IrfanView can view them, and extract frames, but cannot build them.
          Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Hi,
            this is a technically interesting picture. Though it has a .JPG suffix and IrfanView does not complain about a wrong picture type, this picture
            has not the awaited JFIF mark at the the beginning (open the picture and press F3 to see the HEX view). Instead it has an EXIF mark there.
            When you open the image information (i) and then open the EXIF information (e), it says in line 5 'ImageDescription - dav', not 'jpeg'.
            Interestingly the EXIF information contains GPS data, which makes it easily possible to locate where exactly the pictur was taken and show
            the position in e.g OpenStreet Maps or Google Maps.
            Maybe this is a screenshot from the first picture of a small video taken with this smartphone.
            Win 10/64 Home 22H2 IrfanView 4.66/64
            Hate has caused a lot of problems in this world, but it has not solved one yet. (Maya Angelou)

Comment

The image has a standard MP4/h.264/AAC video appended to it at offset 00174AA9 after an unknown table. It plays in common desktop players. Many images, especially from cameras, these days don't contain the JFIF marker, which is only needed to save the DPI.

Comment

(OT: Image taken in Irfan's Vienna.)
                IrfanView 4.62 64-bit

Comment

Originally posted by Kuki Dent View Post
                  this picture has not the awaited JFIF mark at the the beginning
                  Originally posted by j7n View Post
                  Many images, especially from cameras, these days don't contain the JFIF marker, which is only needed to save the DPI.
                  Try again... offset 0x022A8
                  Last edited by Jaff; 30.05.2019, 11:05 PM.
                  Imi este indiferent ce cred ceilalti despre mine, caci oricum fiecare crede ce-i convine lui si nu ceea ce e real,
                  doar ca mi-ar fi placut sa ma vada asa cum sint de fapt, nu asa cum poate le-ar placea lor sa creada. Ei au ales deja...

··÷¦÷·· ·· · · · ·· ··÷¦÷·· ·· · · · ·· ··÷¦÷·· ·· · · · ·· ··÷¦÷·· ·· · · · ·· ··÷¦÷··
                  ·· · ·M· · ·I· · ·D· · ·I· · ·· ·· ·M· · ·A· · ·N· · ·I· · ·A· · ·C· · ·S· · ··
                  ··÷¦÷·· ·· · · · ·· ··÷¦÷·· ·· · · · ·· ··÷¦÷·· ·· · · · ·· ··÷¦÷·· ·· · · · ·· ··÷¦÷··

Comment

What I meant to say is that one can't rely on a JFIF marker or text string to detect the start of a JPEG file, as it is optional and could occur later in the data or not at all. The IV optimization tool, for example, has an option not to write the marker. There is in fact a JFIF marker at 0x624B. The earlier one belongs to an embeded 528x256 preview picture.

The MP4 is outside the JPEG format structure.

Comment

Working...
                    X