Troubled toolbars to unzip and "install"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Troubled toolbars to unzip and "install"

I downloaded four zip files with IrfanView toolbars and tried to unzip them via drag and drop directly from the Download folder onto the IrfanView Toolbars folder. 7-zip showed an error.

I tried to unzip them onto another folder then move them to the IrfanView toolbars folder. It worked, but I had to click on a Windows 10 administrative button to make it work.

Is there any setting, in Windows and/or IrfanView, that will allow me to do it the simplest way, that is, drag, drop, done?

TIA.
    Desktop PC: Windows 10 Pro - 64-bit • Intel Core i7 • 12 GB RAM
    Laptop PC: Windows 10 Pro - 64-bit • Intel Core i5 • 6 GB RAM
    IrfanView 4.60 • 32-bit

I think the answer is, there is no easy way to do this.

The Program Files folder needs to be protected from casual editing.

How often does anyone have to download and install new toolbars? Download them all, unzip them in your Downloads folder, then D&D them to the toolbar folders of IrfanView 32-bit and 64-bit.
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Originally posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
      I think the answer is, there is no easy way to do this.

The Program Files folder needs to be protected from casual editing.

How often does anyone have to download and install new toolbars? Download them all, unzip them in your Downloads folder, then D&D them to the toolbar folders of IrfanView 32-bit and 64-bit.
      I understand the concerns about system files and folders protection and of course I avoid anything that may jeopardize the OS.

As to the case in point, I just thought of the "Take ownership" settings, which could apply and allow me to drag the zip files and unzip them directly onto the folder from the 7-zip context menu.
      Desktop PC: Windows 10 Pro - 64-bit • Intel Core i7 • 12 GB RAM
      Laptop PC: Windows 10 Pro - 64-bit • Intel Core i5 • 6 GB RAM
      IrfanView 4.60 • 32-bit

Comment

I ran IrfanView 64-bit as Administrator, downloaded a toolbar skin Zip, opening it in 7-Zip, then dragged and dropped the files to the toolbars folder. I got a message to confirm, but it worked just fine.

Even without running IrfanView as admin, this works.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Admin Permissions.png
Views:	1
Size:	7.9 KB
ID:	83237

The new toolbars immediately become available to select in Settings, Toolbars.
        Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 04.01.2019, 06:43 AM.
        Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Working...
        X