Add option to create centered selections

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Requested Add option to create centered selections

I think it would be great to have an option to create centered selections, specially for editing purposes.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ivccs_01.png
Views:	1
Size:	19.3 KB
ID:	85183

Besides, I suggest you change the menu command from Create custom crop selection to Create custom selection.
    Because selections are not for cropping only. Among other things, they can be used to add text, paste content, and to edit or create content with IrfanPaint.
    Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 05.01.2019, 07:49 PM. Reason: Replaced acronym with text
    Desktop PC: Windows 10 Pro - 64-bit • Intel Core i7 • 12 GB RAM
    Laptop PC: Windows 10 Pro - 64-bit • Intel Core i5 • 6 GB RAM
    IrfanView 4.60 • 32-bit

It is odd that the menu item for Create custom crop selection is named differently to the dialogue that opens when you select it Create custom selection. If it bothers you, send a bug report to Irfan Skiljan.

Here is a workaround to centre a selection for a landscape image while you're waiting. (Forward the request or you might wait forever. Let us know the result and I will update the thread).

• Create a selection of the desired height
    • From the edit menu, select Maximise and centre selection
    • Drag the left side of the selection so that it is the desired width
    • Open the Custom selection dialogue (Shift C)
    • Divide the x-offset by two

For portrait images: switch the details as appropriate.
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

I sent the request about Create custom selection to Irfan. At first he said he found it not important, to which I replied:
      As to my suggestion and what you said of it (not being important), allow me to disagree. It's a matter of consistency and simplicity in the UI. But you are the programmer and of course you have the right to make your application the way you want and see best fit. I am only a user trying to help.

Then he said:
      OK, I will probably change the text ;-)

The result is here.
      ?
      Click image for larger version

Name:	ivns.png
Views:	1
Size:	210.0 KB
ID:	83322
      Desktop PC: Windows 10 Pro - 64-bit • Intel Core i7 • 12 GB RAM
      Laptop PC: Windows 10 Pro - 64-bit • Intel Core i5 • 6 GB RAM
      IrfanView 4.60 • 32-bit