No announcement yet.

4.52 install bug (TTF association)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reported 4.52 install bug (TTF association)

When I install 4.52 and I select 'only image' association (or even 'none') it messes up the default action for when you click on a .ttf (truetype font).
    It makes i_view open .ttf as being a preview picture instead of keeping the windows fontview utility as default.
    There is however no mention of .ttf in the installer list that you can select or deselect to opt out.
    Nor is there a mention of this in the changes list incidentally.

The obvious advantage of windows fontview is that there is a button to install the font after you looked at the preview, but regardless, irfanview should not associate unannounced and unwanted. And who knows what else it associates with that is not in the list.

All this on W7 x64 but I'm not sure that plays a role, although, maybe w10 is more protective of such unwanted behavior?

I have never seen something like this before, but it has also happened to me, on Windows 10. Can't say when. OTF fonts are not affected.

In Settings - Extensions one can select the TTF format, but I am quite sure I didn't choose it, it is not selected with "Images only".

This is funny ...

EDIT: Repaired in Windows settings, but if it is a bug, it should be isolated and reported.
    Last edited by Jacal; 18.01.2019, 07:48 PM.
    IrfanView 4.62 64-bit

Comment

The general file association problems that have been reported with v4.52 all (?) seem to have involved Win7 64bit.

I've been in contact about such issues with Irfan Skiljan regarding these and other matters over the last few weeks and he seemed to confirm the problems are specific to Win7 users.

The simplest solution suggested in lieu of any fix becoming available is to use the portable version of IrfanView v4.52 ie. the ZIP options here:-

Whether that will fix this unusual TTF font association issue I do not know but it certainly resolved the other hijacked file association I was having with the installed version of v4.52 on a Win7 machine.

Last edited by BadRobot2018; 21.01.2019, 11:43 PM.

Comment

I have installed 64-bit v4.52 (on top of 4.51) in a Windows 7 virtual machine, and it did hijack the TTF extension, before the plugins have also been installed. So I can only confirm the issue.

As said, it also happened on my Windows 10 system (installed recently on top of Windows 7, if that makes any difference). On Windows 10, a more common issue is OS trying to reconquer many graphic formats, even some, that it can not open. It happens at least after "important" upgrades twice a year.

Be well!
        IrfanView 4.62 64-bit

Comment

Same problem here on Windows 10. Solved by going to Choose default apps by file type.
          Desktop PC: Windows 10 Pro - 64-bit • Intel Core i7 • 12 GB RAM
          Laptop PC: Windows 10 Pro - 64-bit • Intel Core i5 • 6 GB RAM
          IrfanView 4.60 • 32-bit

Comment

It is still a bug even if you can correct it via Windows Control Panel options.

You can certainly do the same thing with Windows 7 but when you have all major image file types hijacked going through that for four or more other default preferences is a bit of a pain. I also found that I couldn't simply restore the default Windows Viewer icons for each image file type either. Once I'd got it back to the Windows Viewer as default I found the PNG icon changed to one of the others found in the same System32 DLL.

Luckily the restore point I used fixed that problem but otherwise I would have had to go through the customise icon process to find the original PNG .ico image to restore it. That is not a simple thing to do for a particular file type either.

BTW: that and many other image/system file icons can be found in C:\Windows\System32\imageres.dll.
            Last edited by BadRobot2018; 23.01.2019, 05:07 PM.

Comment

I suppose you could, as a fix, also install 4.51 then open the 4.52 installer with 7zip as being an archive and drag the 4.52 files over the installed 4.51 ones to update them.
              I think that the only difference would be that the uninstaller reports 4.51 is installed
              But at least you would avoid any 4.52 installer shenanigans.

Don't forget to do the same with the new 4.52 plugins though, or get them as a zip file.
              Last edited by Dabble; 26.01.2019, 12:05 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X