Thread: Orginal image size problem

IV Newbie

Question Orginal image size problem

Hi.

When I open RW2 (raw) images taken with my Panasonic FZ2000 camera and hit the Info button, then it tells me that the image Original size is 1920 x 1280 pixels. But that's not the case since the image size should be 5472 x 3648 pixels.
    When I open my Canon CR2 (raw) images there is no problem. The Info button shows me the correct orginal size.
    Using Irfanview 4.52 64-bit version and latest plugins.

Thankfull for any solution.
    Jan

IV Newbie

And when I convert the RW2 image in Adobe DNG converter to a DNG (raw) file and open that file in IrfanView, the IrfanView informs me that the original size is only 1024 x 683 pixels (when it should be 5472 x 3648px, which it is if I open the image in eg. Adobe Camera Raw)?
    The same happens if I convert a CR2 file to a DNG file in the Adobe DNG converter - IrfanView see it as a 1024 x 683px image.

What is happening here? - why do IrfanView decrease the size of the image for RW2 and DNG files when it treatens CR2 files correctly?

IV Newbie

Somebody wants to try open a DNG file in IrfanView and notice if the images original size will change?

Ps. I have been opening Nasas HUGE JP2 files with no change in pixel size. So why do the RW2 and DNG files change in size?

Version
    IrfanView 4.51
    OS
    32-bit Win 7 Professional SP1
    CPU Cores

I assume you are viewing the preview images which are embedded in theRAW files.

What are your settings in Options > Properties > Plugins ? (see screenshot)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	iv_raw_preview.png 
Views:	25 
Size:	34.1 KB 
ID:	5489  

IV Newbie

Progress, Thank You!
    Solved!
    I changed the Plugin options and untagged both "Try to load embedded preview image" and "Load half size image".
    Additionally, I tagged "Don't automatically brighten the image".
    Now I'm much closer to what I need to do and the next issue is that high ISO images are quite noisy, but that's another story I suppose...
    Thank You!

Version
    IrfanView 4.51
    OS
    32-bit Win 7 Professional SP1
    CPU Cores

You are welcome, Jan.

As for de-noising, best would be a dedicated RAW editor. If you insist on IrfanView you might want to search the web for Photoshop plugins (.8bf) which usually work in IrfanView too.

Thread Information