Directshow Video Playback Fails to Show Video on First Open

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fixed Directshow Video Playback Fails to Show Video on First Open

Hello! I believe I have found a bug when trying to view videos through irfanview. This seems to be related to NVidia's graphics drivers, as I just updated on Feb 1, 2019 when I first noticed this issue. Upon opening the video with DirectShow enabled, I see a black video player while the audio plays normally. Then I open the same video a second time, so that a second irfanview window opens, and that same video plays fully in the second window. This appears to happen for both 32 and 64 bit viewers, and both while running in normal and administrator mode.

I've take a screenshot of the two players next to each other:

The sample webm that I am testing with came from here: http://techslides.com/sample-webm-og...iles-for-html5

GPU: Nvidia Geforce 980ti
    Geforce Drivers: 417.71
    Codecs: K-Lite Full pack, installed on Feb 3, 2019

Notes:
    -In Event viewer, no warnings or errors seem to be logged at all.
    -When you finally do have the second video playing, if you close the first window and open any other video files, they will show the same symptoms.
    -This appears to happen for any video files. I have tested with mp4 and webm.

Wow, @ickmiester - I have the exact same issue and been trying all kinds of stuff to overcome it, but failed. I didn't get to the point to open 2 windows, but I did now and could reproduce what you describe. I also think your assumption of this being a conflict with Nvidia drivers is likely.

@Irfanview team - is there anything you can suggest? Especially when managing larger image/video collections, the fact that there is no video view anymore (but the files are opened regardless of the extension being excluded) is a real obstacle.

PS: I run on a GTX 1070, Win10 x64, K-Lite standard latest version.
    IrfanView 4.52 both on 32 and 64bit show the same issue.

Thanks!
    Davy
    Last edited by davy; 17.04.2019, 01:52 PM.

Comment

I ran into an interesting collection of issues with video playback myself today, as I had done the following:

Yesterday, I updated my Nvidia drivers to 430.64, restarted, and was able to get video playback, though in a way that was somewhat buggy. The video stream would display over other apps, would disallow any popups from Irfanview to show (such as file copy), and would use a high % of the "Legacy Overlay" section of my GPU, such that Task Manager would show 100% GPU usage (MSI afterburner did not show such an increase, so I don't think it was actually a strain on the card).

Now today, without having restarted the PC, I can no longer get video to playback on any of my displayport monitors, just my HDMI one. The computer had gone to sleep and I had opened a game on my primary, displayport monitor, which were really the only two "differences" between yesterday and today I can think of. The video playback area shows, but is black, same as it was consistently on my older driver version (413.xx) but not on a pre-400 series driver. However, on a side monitor (running on the HDMI port on my video card instead of a Displayport), I do get video playback with the same "overlay" behavior, though on a decent delay after opening the file, which I did not have before. The "legacy overlay" usage is higher, often 100%, but goes down when the window is dragged to the primary monitor (losing video playback). As soon as the window is dragged back onto the side monitor, playback resumes. This is even with no other Irfanview windows open, or any windows of any kind on the Displayport monitors.

In researching this, it appears the DX9 video playback features are not completely disabled in Windows 10, but are at the very least buggy, and should be upgraded from. This and this are two relevant, recent Microsoft posts relating to this issue.

Hoping the video playback can be updated to be compatible with newer hardware, as I frequently browse through folders with mixed content.

Computer is Win 10 x64, Irfanview is x64 4.52, Video Card is 2080ti, and driver is 430.64 (which at least made it work somewhat, instead of not at all like it had been for a while). This was using the Directshow player, as drivers such as webm are not available for the other mode (I had tried looking into that for quite a while when it first broke).

Comment

Thanks for that arof - also updated drivers today.
        So the pattern here really is Windows 10, and how it does (not) support DirectX9 apparently used by IrfanView.
        Is there a bug tracker, or how can the Dev team be informed? I am assuming many to be on Win10 these days.

Comment

There is no bug-tracker that I know of. See the IrfanView help menu for Irfan Skiljan's email. Send him a bug report and I will update the thread's status.
          Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

I did a little more testing after changing one thing about my system. I re-enabled the on-board GPU while my Nvidia GPU is still running (as I wanted to plug in a 5th monitor) and afterwards it's clear it's an NVIDIA bug, not an Irfanview one.

If I load a video in a first Irfanview window, it behaves as I described above regarding sitting on top of other windows, and will only play back on one window (currently my primary, I suspect it's only on one specific port at a time, arbitrarily decided), if I drag to any other nvidia windows it stops, but if I drag it to one of the onboard (Intel HD 4600) monitors, it behaves fine and the legacy overlay usage on the NVIDIA card stops. Here's where it gets bizarre though, if I drag the Irfanview window onto a Intel monitor and start playback, the video window is offset onto the NVIDIA one, and moves around with it.

If I open any more videos at this point, they all work with no issue...if they start playback on a NVIDIA monitor. If the Irfanview window is on a Intel monitor, the video only renders well to the right of where it is supposed to, hidden unless you increase the size of the window. This includes if I've "killed" the first video by dragging it to a different monitor, blacking it out and preventing it from overlaying in the buggy way. If that window is closed or minimized however, any videos opened do the overlay behavior. This gives me sort of a workaround, though the fact that I still can't start video playback on two of my monitors is annoying to say the least.

The long and short of it is while this remains an NVIDIA bug it seems, an update to the video plugin to use any newer rendering model, even ones that rely on the same system codecs, would help fix this issue for everyone.

Comment

With IrfanView v4.53 and Nvidia driver v430.86 things for me are back to work.
              Thanks Irfan & Team - Cheers!

Comment

With Nvidia drivers 436.30 and IrfanView 4.53, the problems are back.
                Is there something the IrfanView team can do about this, to not rely on Nvidia? Would be very much appreciated.

Thx
                Davy

Comment

Please send an email to Irfan Skiljan and let us know what he says. Then I will update the thread.
                  Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

This works again with drivers v436.48 released yesterday, so we're good for now.

Comment

I have same problem, still cant fix it. Any idea what to do?
                      Windows 10, build 1903
                      Irfanview 4.53
                      Nvidia GTX 1080, driver 436.48

Comment

I have this same exact problem after installing a Nvidia GT1030 graphics card, driver v432.00. Irfanview 64 bit v4.54. Has there been a fix? Should I update the driver? Thanks.

Comment

Since this seem to be a problem with graphic drivers, try updating your drivers. I would expect a new card to come with the latest drivers, but there may be many reasons why older drivers are supplied.

Comment

Thanks. Updated to the latest Nvidia driver from July 2020, v451.67. No joy. Still will not display video until I open up a second instance of Irfanview. Then it works. Is there a known good Nvidia driver I should try? I'm using a DP cable. Would switching to HDMI help? Please advise.

EDIT: The problem is solved by switching to 32bit version of Irfanview. So from my point of view, this is a bug in 64bit Irfanview and not a bug in the Nvidia drivers.
                            Last edited by jmorlan; 13.08.2020, 12:09 AM.

Comment

Thanks @jmorlan for the hint - however switching to x86 version didn't fix it for me, using latest Nvidia drivers 456.71.
                              One workaround is to set "external player" in options, using the iv_plugin, but that opens another window and removes the possibility to "scroll" through folders and quickly skip over files, one has to wait until the video played completely.

If I find Irfan's email address I'll contact him to see whether he can investigate.
                              EDIT: Contacted Irfan.

By the way: I also suspect this not be an Nvidia issue although yes per my tests some drivers worked better.
                              But in all cases, even now, a second window shows videos correctly - so why is that?
                              Last edited by davy; 09.10.2020, 08:46 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X