Changing Focus after caching images in thumbnail view

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Confirmed Changing Focus after caching images in thumbnail view

Is there any way to prevent irfanview from changing focus when it completes image caching in the thumbnail view? - Basically in larger folders it takes 'a while' to fetch the previews for all of the images and if you are browsing through images using the cursor keys when it completes the 'focus' of the app suddenly switches to the folder view instead of the thumbnail view and if you don't notice and change the focus back your next cursor keystroke will select a different folder instead of a different image causing you to have to reselect the folder you had been working in and recache all the images again...

Only remedy I've found is turning off the folder view but that makes navigating a pain. Is there an option I'm missing somewhere?

If you do not want to wait until it finishes just press Stop on the menu at the top and then select a new folder to view.

Comment

That isn't the problem; I can switch folders at any time IF that was what I wanted to do but that isn't at all what I want to do.

I view folders that often have 20,000+ images in them and it can take several minutes for that preloading of images to complete. during that time I can (and do) start browsing through the images that are already loaded; That is all fine until the moment the caching of these images completes when suddenly the 'focus' of the selection is switched to the "folder view" instead of the "thumbnail view" that I had been working in. As soon as that happens the next time the cursor key is selected it selects a different folder which is usually NOT what I intended to do. The intent was to select the next IMAGE but since the focus suddenly changed to a different part of the program then the behavior is not what was expected.

There is no good reason why the 'focus' should be suddenly changed from when the loading of thumnail images finishes; just leave it where it was; That is an intentional call in the program that happens at the end of the loading of images and it shouldn't be needed. This isn't a big deal for folders with a very small number of entries but when working with large folders; especially across networks where it can take a while to finish the caching this is a pain and doesn't make any sense why they have an intentional 'set_focus' call in the program at that point.

Comment

I cannot comment on whether what you want is a "good" reason or a "bad" reason. That is up to each user to decide. Obviously if you wanted an indication of when loading of thumbnail images had finished then what it does at present would be a "good" reason for you.
        If you just want support to block the cursor keys from responding after loading is complete, then try pressing Ctrl+A to highlight all thumbnail images during browsing. The focus still moves to the "folder view" after loading completes but I think you will find that you can continue to browse in the "thumbnail view".

Comment

"CTRL-A" just does a 'select all' on the images and that actually doesn't work until after the caching of images has finished anyway which makes it a pointless step; nor does it address the issue I am referring to.

I am not asking how to get a visual indication of when the loading of thumbnail images completes. I can easily see that on the top of the screen where it counts the entries as it is loading them; I am asking how to stop it from changing focus to the other window when that process completes. That is absolutely not necessary at all for any reason.

Anyone that is working with the program can easily put the focus wherever they want manually; so why should the program force it to some other target when the image caching is completed? If I WANT it there then I would have left it there.. but since I have clearly selected the other window why should the program decide to change it from what I selected and move it to a different target? That isn't necessary but it is clearly something they have in the code because it is a specific call in the program that sets the focus.

Comment

I do not think you understand how this forum works. The program is written by one person, Irfan Skiljen, which is why it is called Irfanview and since he does all the updates to the program himself, he does not have time to watch this forum.
            This is the Support section of the forum where other users, like me, try to advise those like yourself on how to use the program. I am not a "professional" by the way. That is just the title that anyone gets who has posted over 2000 times (and is not an administrator or a moderator).
            What you are asking for should be in the Feature requests section where you can discuss possible changes like the one you want and others can say whether they would like to have it too. Irfan does not follow that either but if the feature has other supporters they can band together and ask Irfan to make the change and he is more likely to implement it than if it is only promoted by a single user. As I have never seen what you want requested by anyone else over the years, I doubt you are going to find others to support you and you will have to send a request to Irfan on your own if you think this is needed.
            Please read the instructions for the section to understand how to go about it.

Comment

This looks more like a bug than a feature request. Please send a report to Irfan Skiljan (see Help, About for his email), and let us know what he says. Then I will update the thread’s status.
              Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Working...
              X