Saving images can't type a new filename

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Saving images can't type a new filename

This is a weird problem. Every time I try to save an image into a folder that already has several other image files, if I try to save the new image with a filename that starts with the same letter as an already existing file, then it automatically jumps to an existing filename before I can type the new name.

For instance, I'm trying to save this image as a new file, I want to name it grey.png
    Click image for larger version

Name:	irf1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	31.3 KB
ID:	85204

The moment I press 'g' in the file name field it jumps to an existing filename called 'game history.jpg' and changes the file type to jpg.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	irf2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	32.1 KB
ID:	85205

It literally won't let me type 'grey' to save it as a new image file. So annoying.
    Attached Files

When there are files with similar names in the same save folder and you start typing the new file name IRFV will offer you a list of similar possible file names from that folder for you to choose even if the format is different ie. JPG rather than PNG. Most often when you're saving images they're part of a set so likely named the same but numbered sequentially.

So if you have 11.jpg, 12.jpg, 13.jpg etc and you type 1 in the name field it will show those previous file names 'assuming' the next one is going to be 14.jpg making it easier and quicker to rename the file particularly if it has a long name.

The 'problem' is that if it is not a another file in the same series and even if you've changed the file format to PNG if you type 1 it will still show you those JPG name options and if you mistakenly accept the top one, likely in this case 11.jpg it will name it "11.jpg" but should actually save it as a PNG ie. 11.jpg.png.

However even if you've accidentally selected the first or any other offered .jpg option it should not cause IRFV to change the save file format. I've tried to reproduce that myself with IRFV v4.51 and a folder full of JPGs trying to add a PNG with the same first letter. Even if I click on the first offered name option it still saves as a PNG. It does not change the selected save format shown by IRFV either.

Maybe it is an Properties/Settings issue of some sort but I do not know for sure of one which might, unwanted, 'correct' the file format automatically. You should check the Properties/Settings Extensions and File Handling sub-menus. There may be something there related to this matter but it is only a guess.
    Last edited by BadRobot2018; 06.03.2019, 01:00 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

Yeah, what seems to be happening is that instead of displaying that dropdown list of other existing filenames starting with the same letter as the one I've typed, it's automatically selecting the first filename in that list. And it happens so fast I don't even see the dropdown list of filenames, it seems automatic.

But I just noticed that this only seems to happen if the first filename in the dropdown list is a different file type. If it's the same file type, in other words if I'm saving a PNG file and I type 'h' and the first filename in the dropdown list of existing filenames is 'hero.png' or another PNG file, then the problem doesn't happen, it shows the dropdown list and acts like you would expect. However, if I'm saving a PNG file and I type 'h' and the first filename in the dropdown list is 'hero.jpg' then it automatically selects that filename and changes the file type to JPG, I won't even see the dropdown list. Same thing if I'm saving a JPG file and the first existing filename is a PNG file, it will automatically select that filename and change the file type to PNG. It's a bit puzzling.

Comment

Since the suggested name is marked blue, you just need to press DEL before you type the name you want the file to have.
        Win 10/64 Home 22H2 IrfanView 4.66/64
        Hate has caused a lot of problems in this world, but it has not solved one yet. (Maya Angelou)

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried that but I'm afraid it behaved in the same way. The text in blue (in the first image I posted) is the filename of the existing image I'm attempting to save with a different filename. It doesn't seem to matter if I begin typing the new filename right away or delete the name marked in blue first, it does the same weirdness as described above.

Comment

Working...
          X