MRSID.DLL plug-in missing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MRSID.DLL plug-in missing

Just installed IrfanView PlugIns version 4.35.
    But after trying to open a MrSid-file I get the message:
    Can't load Plugin: "MRSID.DLL" ! Please install or update PlugIns from IrfanView homepage!
    What am I doing wrong?
    Attached Files

Any special reason why you want to use an out-of-date version of IrfanView?

You seem to have installed the plugins in C:\Program Files, but IrfanView 32-bit usually goes in C:\Program Files (x86)
    Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 08.04.2019, 08:46 PM.
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

It could well be the OP used one of the promoted mirror web sites from the default download page rather than the recommended direct download. That is actually the 32bit version page but links to mirrors for the 64bit main program and plugins versions too.

I've posted about that before here where the mirrors are listed first even though some of them do not actually have the most recent versions. You have to search down through the download listings to actually find the direct download on the 32bit page.

This is the page for the 64bit IrfanView and Plugins you should use.

This is the direct link for the 32bit plugins which is disingenuously described as an 'alternative download site':-

Alternative download site: http://www.irfanview.info/files/iview452_plugins.zip
      (SHA-256 checksum: a03ef6185b145b91577686c85fa54c2ed15a2684cece7c8b4b 1047e74fa36031)

BTW the primarily promoted FossHub links to the same files look good to me and it would be difficult to have accidentally downloaded the wrong or an older version .zip file ie. 32bit or 64bit and installed that incorrectly.

But I do not know about the installer .exe versions also available there which may have been what was used. However, again it would be pretty much impossible to have installed to the wrong location.

So my guess is that the v4.35 plugin version of that particular DLL is just not compatible with whatever IrfanView version is being used, whether this is due to its age or, less likely, that the 32bit or 64bit plugin has been installed to the wrong IrfanView version.

BTW you can use both 32bit and 64bit versions on the same 64bit PC but there is a difference. With the 64bit version in "Program Files", there is a MrSid.dll in the Plugins folder and also a separate MrSID folder too containing two other DDLs: a Raster DSDKC file and a Threads Building Blocks Library. No idea what that means, just FYI.

The 32bit version, which would be in "Program Files (x86)" on a 64 bit system, only has the MrSID.dll plugin and no additional separate folder.
      Last edited by BadRobot2018; 10.04.2019, 03:10 PM.

Comment

I installed Irfanview on March 25 2019, version 4.52 - 64 bit. Is that an out-of-date version??
        Irfanview installed it automatically in C:\Program Files, I did not change the directory.
        The Plugins I installed on April 8, also automatically from Irfanview's website, apparently a version 4.35 (but I don't know where I found that version number), should that be also 4.52?? But how can I get it.
        So again: what is wrong, and what should I do to open MrSid-files.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	2019-04-11.png
Views:	1
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	83268

Comment

The download link for the 64-bit Plugins leads to the Fosshub Page
          Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
              The download link for the 64-bit Plugins leads to the Fosshub Page
              You're right. They've changed it. The IrfanView main program link on the same page still leads to the direct download but the plugins (64bit) both from the page I linked to and the options on the main IrfanView page all now link to the FossHub web site.

That's new behaviour and I cannot find any link on the web site now to the plugins direct download either 32bit or 64bit.

Bizarrely on the IrfanView home page the main IrfanView download links are actually now set to the cnet web site and the plugins download links to FossHub which does feature all flavours of the plugins' downloads. But for some reason FossHub do not offer the ZIP version of the main program, just the installer version.

Seems like a bit of a mess to me.
              Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 12.04.2019, 05:59 PM.

Comment

Direct Downloads are found on the Downloads Page.

I may be old-fashioned, but I find it impolite to complain about how an author of free software chooses to make downloads available. It costs money to provide a website, and not an insignificant amount when downloads are in their hundreds of thousands or millions.

I have no idea how Irfan Skiljan manages to finance this. Maybe he sells enough Pro version licenses at €10 a pop to make a good living, but it all good for me. I have used it for many years without paying a cent, so my review site and helping out here is my way of giving back.

Comment

Well when I contact him about such matters a few months ago he appeared not to be that aware what web sites the primary download links on the IrfanView web site actually connected too. He recommended that the direct download options should be used even though I'd explained that they were actually at the end of the mirrors list, at least on the 32bit downloads page at the bottom of the "Other Download Sites" page.

That is the 'problem' - those still include the direct links to the main IrfanView downloads but the plugin links there and on that 64bit downloads page you linked too ^ all go to FossHub. As I said there now appears to be no direct downloads for the plugins, EXE or ZIP.

Is it impolite when you are actually trying to follow the download method recommended by the author and the other software authors I've had the privilege of communicating with directly? I think it is actually showing due respect.

The fact is now you can, if you search through the downloads pages, still download both the 32bit and 64bit IrfanView versions as recommended. But that appears not to be the case with the plugins.

As I said this is new as is the link to a CNET web site download. That place has been badly reviewed for a long time including Trustpilot and other well known user review sources.

Comment

Working...
                  X