Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Printing

Hi,
    I'm trying to print out a very precise image with IrfanView on a laser printer, but the output IrfanView send to my printer isn't exactly what I want it to be.

Basically, the image is only a graph with a "millimeter paper" from my self-written program, so I can make it any resolution I desire. I want to print one pixel of this image to be one pixel of my printer DPI (not image DPI).

Since so called Original size (from image DPI) is out of the question, the only one I can use is Best fit to page (aspect ratio), but to use it, I have to know the resolution of that data IrfanView is sending exactly, or some of the lines will be doubled (which is clearly visible on the graph).

Isn't there a way to figure out that resolution?

Would it be possible to make this an option in Print Preview?

Thank you for your answers.

Change the image DPI from the Image Information dialogue.

For example, if your program outputs the image at 96 dpi and 96 x 96 pixels, it would normally print at 1" x 1" or 2.5 cm x 2.5 cm.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Print at 1 inch square.png
Views:	1
Size:	231 Bytes
ID:	83264

To print it at 1 cm x 1 cm, change the image DPI to 240. (96x2.5)

Name:	Print at 1 cm square.png
Size:	231 Bytes
ID:	83265
    Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 10.04.2019, 06:27 PM.
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Thanks for the answer, but this didn't help me at all.

My program generates image just in pixels and whether the "milimeter paper" is exact or not doesn't really matter to me (I can recalculate that even manually anyway).

The problem is that the original image is deformed while printing.

In the original size, one pixel of the image is a few pixels on the paper.

When using higher resolution and resizing it in Print Preview, I can make more than 99,9% of pixels to be right, but those 0,1% creates lines clearly visible on the paper.

Basically, something similar to this happens:

Name:	redtable.png
Size:	605 Bytes
ID:	83267

(notice that some of those lines are bolder than the others as the after-effect of resizing)

To prevent it, the image size must be the same as data send by IrfanView (1:1).

I'm asking how can I force IrfanView to either tell me the size, so I can adjust it, or just really send the imput without resizing.
      Last edited by Kuron; 10.04.2019, 07:20 PM.

Comment

In what format your images are? Could you provide a sample?
        IrfanView 4.62 64-bit

Comment

I guess you first need to determine what is your printer's resolution somewhere in its setup dialog, where you can configure its speed/economy. Did you try setting the image DPI to match the printer's exactly (usually 600) or to a round fraction or multiple of it (300)? Of course there will be resampling at 96 or 240, which are not nice numbers. It could be that there is a rounding error somewhere in the calculation, which is usually not noticeable as pixels are quite small on paper.

Comment

IMHO the problem of the OP is caused by the use of a bitmap picture format for the 'millimeter paper'. If the structure of the horizontal and vertical lines does not exactly match the dpi used, the program, i.e. IrfanView, has to interpolate the bitmap raster in order to display or print the image, which leads to different line thickness . The problem gets worse if you scale the image, which will happen if you do not print the image 1:1.

The only useful way to circumvent problems with lines or circles is to not use a bitmap picture format, but a vector format.

Examples for vector image programs are CorelDraw (expensive) and LibreOffice-Draw (free).
            Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 12.04.2019, 06:09 PM. Reason: Fixed typo
            Win 10/64 Home 22H2 IrfanView 4.66/64
            Hate has caused a lot of problems in this world, but it has not solved one yet. (Maya Angelou)

Comment

I would also mention Inkscape, probably the most capable open-source tool for vector graphic.
              IrfanView 4.62 64-bit

Comment

@ Jacal: You're right; I didn't mention it because it is hard to work with.
                Win 10/64 Home 22H2 IrfanView 4.66/64
                Hate has caused a lot of problems in this world, but it has not solved one yet. (Maya Angelou)

Comment

Working...
                X