Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: More Toolbar Buttons

IV Newbie

Default More Toolbar Buttons

Mod Edit: I moved these posts from Allow Toolbar Customisation, which dates back to 2007, and is now closed. The request was forwarded to Irfan Skiljan in June 2016.

---

I'd like to see more menu buttons/menus. Example, Very often I like to edit an image and while I can click on the edit menu item and select a function, if I advance to a new image I must again click on the edit menu item and reselect. The same for the save function, I almost never use the Save As and would like to have a Save button that saves my file with the original name and location without any prompts.
    Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 06.05.2019 at 12:45 PM.

Moderator Enterprise User Bhikkhu Pesala's Avatar
    OS
    64-bit Win 10
    CPU Cores

Quote Originally Posted by jgt1942 View Post
    I almost never use the Save As and would like to have a Save button that saves my file with the original name and location without any prompts.
    Shortcut Ctrl S will do what you want. See the File Handling Options in Settings to disable the overwrite warnings and the save options dialogue.

What commands from the Edit menu do you need quick access to?

Version
    IrfanView 4.51
    OS
    64-bit Win 10
    CPU Cores

Question Alternative Save for the Toolbar

Hi, I for one never use the default 'Save as' icon. This seems to save in the Desktop by default and I always want it to be in the same folder as where the file came from.

So could the author allow us to select from the two Save options which appears in the Toolbar? That is Save (original folder) or the 'Save as' icon?

Thanks.
    Stuart Halliday

OS
    64-bit Win 10
    CPU Cores

Along with Customising Shortcuts, this is quite a frequent request, but for the reasons I stated earlier, I don't think it is easy to do. Irfan Skiljan has known about these issues for many years, but so far has not done anything about it.

Version
    IrfanView 4.51
    OS
    64-bit Win 10
    CPU Cores

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
    Along with Customising Shortcuts, this is quite a frequent request, but for the reasons I stated earlier, I don't think it is easy to do. Irfan Skiljan has known about these issues for many years, but so far has not done anything about it.
    Changing or adding an extra icon is trivial stuff. Maybe he just thinks it's not worth his attention or he's moved on and forgotten? Happens.
    Stuart Halliday

IV Amateur
    Version
    IrfanView 4.33
    OS
    64-bit Win 7 Home Premium SP1

Quote Originally Posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
    You don't need to open any menu. Just press Ctrl Y.

notwithstanding the ctrl+Y option, mouse too is much used. And considering CROP is such a frequently used feature, toolbar button for CROP is much needed

OS
    64-bit Win 10
    CPU Cores

Quote Originally Posted by quatermass View Post
    Changing or adding an extra icon is trivial stuff. Maybe he just thinks it's not worth his attention or he's moved on and forgotten? Happens.
    Irfan Skiljan has clearly not moved on to other things, nor forgotten about it. As I said earlier, it would require a fundamental change to the GUI. The toolbars use PNG images to support different skins. They can be different sizes, but they must all have the same limited number of buttons.

If the buttons were changed to perform different functions that would annoy the hell out of existing users, and would break all of the skins. Changing the toolbar to, say, 24 buttons or 30 buttons, would not be impractical, but who wants to spend time creating skins all over again?

The only proper solution is to allow the toolbars to be customisable. Clearly, every user has his/her own vital most used feature that they want to see on the toolbars. It's impossible to satisfy everyone, unless you make the GUI fully customisable. This is not a trivial task.

It took me about five years to persuade the Serif developers that 16 pixel icons designed for 1024 x 768 monitors were too small. Eventually, we got medium and large icons, but it took a lot of work to create all those extra icons at three different sizes. No fundamental change to the GUI was required, just different icon sets and HiDPI support.

Irfan Skiljan has never been very interest in Interface design. His focus is on program functionality.

Maybe one day he will bite the bullet and do this, but I am not holding my breath. Anyone is welcome to email him to request this feature, and let us know what he says. I will then update the thread status.

BTW: The save button will always save to the same folder that you last used, in the image format that you last used. There's a Recent Folders drop list at the bottom of the save dialogue. I always save in My Pictures, and then move files using Windows File Explorer if I decide to keep them. Usually, I just upload them somewhere, then delete them.

OS
    64-bit Win 10
    CPU Cores

I forwarded this feature request to Irfan Skiljan to remind him about it. This is his response:

I will later make larger toolbars => but I need tons of new icons from skin authors.

Toolbars: thanks, I will try something. Such things are already on my todo list ... which is very large

IV Amateur

Lightbulb Additional buttons for the button bar

I'd love to see these additional button options that would be much quicker to have on the button bar than having to click through the menu:

1. 'Copy to' dialog
    2. 'Move to' dialog
    3. 'Edit' (or 'Paint dialog') button
    4. 'Save As...' button

Thanks for your consideration!

IV Amateur

You guys are forgetting that more and more people are working with touchscreen computers and tablets. Keyboard combos and mouse controls are pretty much unhelpful when you are using that formfactor.

I agree that more buttons and touchscreen-friendly controls are desirable.

Thread Information