Play Next MP3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Play Next MP3

I'm using IrfanView 4.52 x64. I play an MP3. I see the main IrfanView window plus the MP3 Player window. I mouse over Right Arrow in the IrfanView toolbar. The tooltip says, "Next file in folder/list." But when I click on that arrow, the MP3 Player seems to load a null file. It says, "Type: no file loaded." Clicking on the right arrow again does not change anything. I have to manually close the MP3 Player in order for the Right Arrow icon to work. Is this a bug, or am I overlooking some better way to play the next MP3 in the folder?

It works OK for me. Have you tried opening the next file from the File Open menu instead of using right arrow?

Are there any other files in the folder besides MP3 files? Perhaps there are some hidden files, so enable viewing of hidden files in Windows Explorer to make sure.
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Yeah, it used to work for me too. Not sure why it quit.

There definitely are other ways of opening files. But I'm asking about the right arrow functionality. It still works with WAVs. The problem seems to be specific to the MP3 player.

This folder contains only MP3s.

Comment

Check what you have in Settings, Extensions, for loading Custom file types.
        Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

I have selected "Load custom file types: Load default extensions." If I switch to "Load only associated types while moving through folder," the problem remains the same. I have IrfanView associated with MP3 among other filetypes.

What's the reason for asking about custom file types? It's a folder containing MP3s only. The issue isn't whether it can play MP3s. It's playing MP3s without problems. The problem seems to be rather that the previous session of the MP3 player is not closing before IrfanView attempts to play a new MP3.

Comment

Whether I use the Internal player or the External player (requires plugin), it works for me. The next MP3 plays and the previous one stops playing.

Comment

Yeah, that's the way it used to work for me too.

I've just noticed an apparently related misbehavior. When I am looking at a list of MP3s in Windows File Explorer, and I double-click on one, it plays in IrfanView (my default MP3 player). But when I double-click on another MP3, it doesn't play. I have to double-click again. Evidently it takes one double-click to close down the MP3 player, and then another double-click to restart it.

I've recently upgraded to Windows 10 version 1809. I'm seeing other minor dysfunctionalities in the system. 1809 is notorious for being half-baked. I wonder if it's the culprit.

Uninstalling and reinstalling (using right-click > Run as Administrator) doesn't fix it.
              Last edited by raywood; 08.05.2019, 04:56 PM.

Comment

Windows 10 seems to cause some issue with file associations, but again, I cannot reproduce the problem. My MP3 files are associated with VLC Media Player, but if I use right-click, open with IrfanView it works as expected, i.e. on opening a second file the first one stops playing.

Specs: AMD A10-6800K, 8 Gb on Win 10 64-bit 1809 build 17763.475 • IrfanView 4.52

Comment

Well, it's a mystery. If I find the solution, I'll try to remember to post back here. Thanks for trying.

Update: I didn't think to ask whether you're using 32- or 64-bit IrfanView. A knowledgeable source advises that, if I want to use IrfanView to play MP3s, I should use the 32- rather than 64-bit version of the program. For me, this appears to solve the problem.
                  Last edited by raywood; 09.05.2019, 05:49 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X