Thread: More Toolbar Buttons

IV Newbie
    Version
    IrfanView 4.44
    OS
    64-bit Win 10
    CPU Cores

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    You guys are forgetting that more and more people are working with touchscreen computers and tablets. Keyboard combos and mouse controls are pretty much unhelpful when you are using that formfactor.

I agree that more buttons and touchscreen-friendly controls are desirable.
    Even desktops are coming with touch screens these days, and the future is VR and hand tracking.

The keyboard as a secondary interface is feeling a little more legacy every day.

If IV is gonna try and be a last stand bastion against that, then it's gonna have a rough future. :/ Luckily, I don't think that's happening

Default Edit in External Program Buttons

Hi,

Would it be possible to have a button in the toolbar for each external editor? It would be so handy to click a button to launch the current image in Photoshop, Paint, etc. without having to right click, move the mouse, and then select the filepath of the program you want. If the icons could be different colors too so you can distinguish between the different editors, that would also be awesome! (Assuming you can't set an image for a Photoshop or Paint program icon.)

Thank you!

IV Beginner
    Version
    IrfanView 4.51
    OS
    64-bit Win 7 Professional
    CPU Cores

Default Movable icons & Button for Crop selection

I would like to see a toolbar button option for 'Crop selection'
    Now I understand that since the toolbar button layout is fixed currently that might be not so easy, unless you have the button at the far end. which I expect is a reason to reject it, but in case the toolbar system is changed to move the icons (the other request) in settings in the future I'd already made the request for that specific function at least.

And since I mention toolbar buttons, there are obviously quite a few other standard functions that could use an optional toolbar button, like 'color correction' or 'filters', but for now my post is keeping it simple and only mentions one.

Edit:
    Excuse me for posting an already covered subject. I could have known that there was already a related subject but my original request was on one precise button and while formatting it I realized the request needed movable icons to be accepted. But anyway my post was moved correctly to the correct thread.
    Last edited by Dabble; 22.10.2017 at 02:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
    I forwarded this feature request to Irfan Skiljan to remind him about it. This is his response:
    I have seen a few items mentioned in thread could you ask Irfan what is on the under consideration / 2 do list regarding new toolbar button or related features - assuming they are all grouped together?
    Last edited by ScottR; 19.12.2018 at 12:55 AM.

Moderator Enterprise User Bhikkhu Pesala's Avatar
    OS
    64-bit Win 10
    CPU Cores

Anyone can contact Irfan Skiljan (Help menu, About).

Sorry to necro an old thread, but I'm | | this close to dumping windows photo viewer permanently, save for irfan's lack of "rotate clockwise/rotate anti-clockwise" and "fit to window/actual size" menu bar buttons.

Version
    IrfanView 4.51
    OS
    64-bit Win 10
    CPU Cores

You don't need toolbar buttons. While viewing an image, press 'r' to rotate the image 90 degrees to the right, 'l' for left, 'h' for horizontal flipping and 'v' for vertical flipping.
    When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace - Jimi Hendrix

OS
    64-bit Win 10
    CPU Cores

As Frank said nine years ago:

Quote Originally Posted by Frank View Post
    "More buttons in toolbar" - That sounds good!
    But then all existing skins would be no longer useful and would need an update!
    (see also: "Button zum Scannen in Symbolleiste")
    Nothing has changed. There are still only 19 slots for toolbar buttons, and making all toolbar skins obsolete would be a sad outcome. This is one of those feature requests that would take a major rewrite to implement.

A similar request was already forwarded in 2016, so I will also tag this thread as forwarded. If anyone wants to send a reminder to Irfan Skiljan (Help, About for his email), please let us know his response.
    Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 19.03.2019 at 06:22 PM. Reason: Threads merged

Quote Originally Posted by Kuki Dent View Post
    You don't need toolbar buttons.
    You don't need shortcut keys. There's a philosophy in user interaction design called user empathy/empathic design. I feel you'd do well to familiarise yourself with it. Also the concept of accessibility, for the end-user and those with disabilities. GUIs were created for a reason. Is IrfanView an enthusiast only app? Or is its target mass appeal?

At the opposite end of the spectrum, have you dealt with a sufficiently complex UI? Check out, Autodesk Maya. It'd probably give you a conniption. Alias|Wavefront's introduction of the space-bar modifier menu was revolutionary and supplanted the use of the toolbars entirely by combining both mouse and keyboard user input. Rather than this binary one or the other concept.

As for the skins. Well, so what? Things change. Nothing lasts forever. Code and interfaces become outdated and must be updated. If Apple worried themselves excessively with legacy software and interfaces they'd find themselves in a similar position to Microsoft and their currently Frankensteinian interface design. If skin creators don't want to update their skins, well, that's too bad. New ones will be created. Other users can re-create ones that have since been abandoned.
    Last edited by EtaCarinae; 06.05.2019 at 12:36 AM.

OS
    64-bit Win 10
    CPU Cores

Comparing IrfanView (a single developer) to WinZip or 7-Zip is a fair comparison; comparing it to Microsoft Office or CorelDraw (with huge development teams) is not.

The toolbar in IrfanView is customisable, but is limited to 19 buttons and two fields.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IrfanView Customisable Toolbar.png 
Views:	20 
Size:	49.9 KB 
ID:	5560

Clearly, this is not regarded as an important issue by the developer. Like most frequent users of the program, I prefer shortcuts over buttons.
    Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 06.05.2019 at 07:18 AM.

Thread Information