Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: More Toolbar Buttons

Version
    IrfanView 4.51
    OS
    32-bit Win Server 2003 SP1
    CPU Cores

I'd choose customizable toolbar over skins. Irfan could pick the most clearly drawn icon set, with outlines that are compatible with both light and dark background, and include it with the program. Seems rather strange to have this part of the program customizable with skins and at the same time regarded as unnecessary. Seriously the skins are a gimmick. If the toolbar was customizable and needed many icons, Irfan could have sets of ripped/copyrighted icons unofficially distributed as "skins".

Maybe EditPad from Just Great Software is a fair comparison. They have replicated the Microsoft Office toolbar customizability, except for the bitmap icon editor. Or Foobar2000, which has the customizability engine with every command, but no icons though, so it is kinda useless. I guess the authors of 7-Zip and IrfanView each know their product from inside out, have memorized all shortcuts and command-line, and would struggle to feel "empathy": 7-Zip requires you to enter command-line parameters in the new archive dialog. What Microsoft and WinZip do with their toolbar/icons, they don't do out of empathy. It is like a coat of paint over old engine to make it appear different and "modern", and marketable again. (Ribbon, Flat...)

But it is what it is. No point in arguing here where the author isn't listening. Somone once advised me, when I started learning computers, to never use the toolbar because people may have it customized or have a different program version, and I would likely not find the options in the same place. I still do that out of habit (and experience with unlockable toolbars), and go to the menu bar.

Moderator Enterprise User Bhikkhu Pesala's Avatar
    OS
    64-bit Win 10
    CPU Cores

Quote Originally Posted by j7n View Post
    Seriously the skins are a gimmick.
    Not for me, they're not. They contribute to usability since the default icons are tiny. It also makes it easy to tell at a glance whether I am running the 32-bit version or the 64-bit version.
    Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 06.05.2019 at 08:47 PM.

Version
    IrfanView 4.51
    OS
    32-bit Win Server 2003 SP1
    CPU Cores

Those are fair points. I like to keep multiple versions of the same program different looking. The default win95-style icons are in need of an upgrade.

Thread Information