Saving a transparent image to ICO alters pale colors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Saving a transparent image to ICO alters pale colors

When I save an image that uses transparency and pale colors, to the ICO, IrfanView (4.52 and 4.53) mixes these pale colors together with the main window color (used to show transparent parts). So the only way to get the same image as the PNG source, is to set pure white background color.

Source PNG: Click image for larger version

Name:	source.png
Views:	1
Size:	703 Bytes
ID:	85227

Resulting ICOs, in accordance with the window background colors: ico.7z

If I edit and save transparent PNG files, colors are not mixed, and the result looks as a source, regardless of window background color.

Is this a bug, or a side effect of ICO images processing?

The source image has 32-bits per pixel. The edited images only have 24-bits per pixel.

This is a limitation of IrfanView. I suggest using an icon editor for this task or a full Photo-editor.
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Hmmm. I read about 24-bit limitation in IrfanView, but the source image was edited and saved in IrfanView (to PNG) several times, and it still has 32 bits per pixel. Is this limitation related to ICO files only?

And why the limitation can be bypassed by setting window background color to white?

Comment

It seems to be OK if I save without Alpha Transparency, but the result is then 24-bits
        Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Working...
        X