Image selection if image is bigger than window

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Image selection if image is bigger than window

I recently got a new computer with Windows 10 and loaded the newest IrfanView (4.53) on it.

I'm trying to select to crop a portion of an image that's taller than the window, so the scroll bar appears. I start near the top of the image, and hold my mouse button down while dragging down to the bottom of the image. I bring the mouse pointer outside the edge of the window, and the image begins to scroll, but only for a little bit. Rather than continuing to scroll as long as I hold the mouse button down outside the window area, it just stops after moving the image down an inch or two.

On my old computer, with the older IrfanView, it would have kept scrolling until reaching the bottom edge of the image. Not sure of the older IV version, and I don't have that computer to check. The PC was Windows 7.

As a workaround, I can drag the mouse back and forth, in and out of the window over and over again, and it'll advance the edge of my selection a little bit each time. But for larger images, or having to do this on a lot of different images, that's rather annoying. Is there a setting I'm missing that will allow it to keep scrolling when I drag the selection cursor outside the window? Or is this just a bug?

The behaviour is not new. It is easy to workaround by pressing the shortcut "f" to fit the image before making the selection.
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

But if I fit the image to the window, it shrinks down. The whole point is to work with a large image and be able to see all the detail, which is why I don't fit the image to the window.

In past versions of IrfanView, it kept scrolling if I held the mouse button and dragged the mouse outside the window. And I know I used this functionality in at least 2 or 3 past versions, though I hadn't upgraded in a while, so the last version I used was probably more than 5 years old.

Also, on an unrelated note, when I went to select my version of IrfanView in my profile here on the forums, the most recent version available from the drop down was 4.51. So that's what I selected, even though I'm on 4.53.

Comment

After making a rough selection, you could press "f" again to zoom to full size to make fine adjustments to the selection.

I tested in version 4.44, which is two and a half years old

You can download older versions and install them in different folders: e.g. C:\Program Files(x86)\IrfanView 4.38\

I don't know how long ago the behaviour changed.

Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

There is a quick way to drag the edge of a box to wherever you want to put it without any zooming.
          Just start dragging the side and without taking your finger off the mouse button press the quick image scroll keys Home, End, Page Up or Page Down as many times as you need to see where to drop it. Keep your finger on the mouse button and start dragging again. The box side magically reappears below your mouse cursor so that you can drop it where you want.

Comment

Working...
          X